Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a simple as well as quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill but incredibly functional considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and also finally got ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my techniques, pointers, as well as thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas as well as additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some delight for you and make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, as well as then as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a area to obtain it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! It was certainly much easier than I anticipated it to be. When you link the gas tank, you just turn it as much as high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly surprised at exactly how easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to move the pizza around and also a great range in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to low and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that said said, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit anxious regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm perfect and also keep it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I can NOT have been much more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. An additional way to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top and also simple lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced but enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the within and also very crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we must get it or simply try to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. But let me conserve you time and also power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally rather straightforward to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion swear too much while he was placing it together as well as I think it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t occupy excessive space. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will assist it last much longer. If you don’t have any covered space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. You simply connect the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that cooking and making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a problem, the real cooking as well as prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleaning process entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty simple. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.