Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet super flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours simply a few months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, tricks, and also thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also specs you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger size so that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area may actually stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
Additionally, this is a reliable, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Finding that lp storage tank as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a propane storage tank, and after that when we located one we needed to locate a place to get it loaded. Luckily, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas before I can also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you could believe! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the great spot which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to move the pizza around as well as also a good range in between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said turning the heat to low and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temp could be less complicated. With that said stated, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat perfect and also maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little much better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and topping. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking procedure. I might NOT have been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will certainly provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical but enthusiastic that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and also incredibly crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s low-cost and cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we need to purchase it or just try to find something else comparable online, I had not been sure. But let me conserve you time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright best dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was additionally pretty simple to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion vow too much while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
>> Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, yet often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that truly enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t take up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rain will help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any protected space to keep it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You simply connect the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I assume that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
It’s also extremely lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage room to keep it dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.