Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a simple and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but extremely functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as finally got ours simply a couple of months back. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, ideas, and methods – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas and likewise desired a bigger size so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area may really trigger some delight for you and make pizza night much more amazing!
This is a durable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound propane container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas storage tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, but here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and after that once we found one we had to discover a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was definitely much easier than I expected it to be. As soon as you attach the propane container, you simply transform it as much as high as well as allow it warm up for 20 mins. Then reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly amazed at exactly how simple the Ooni is to use and just how fun it is to see the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the great area which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warmth to low and cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp may be much easier. Keeping that stated, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and maintain it moving. Nonetheless, I was happily stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually begin to master it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a challenging food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I actually lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it to and fro between your hands/forearms until it gets big sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very thin in the middle. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick between it won’t prepare all the way with.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it top as well as basic lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic however cynical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred littles around, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to continue to explain how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we should buy it or just search for another thing comparable online. Let me save you some time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less expensive. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise pretty simple to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vouch way too much while he was putting it together and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One point that actually enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the within or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt chooses it, but apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could feel like a great deal of work to get the Ooni ready up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the propane and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. I do state experience because I assume that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a really simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather very easy.
It’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.