Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a quick as well as very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet super flexible since they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, methods, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specs you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas and likewise wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening much more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank as well as having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a gas tank, and after that when we found one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I can also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! It was certainly simpler than I expected it to be. As soon as you link the propane tank, you just transform it approximately high and also let it heat up for 20 minutes. After that lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly surprised at just how very easy the Ooni is to use and also just how enjoyable it is to see the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which provides you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around and also a good range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to cook as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the heat to low as well as cooking it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be less complicated. With that said, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warm ideal and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough cooking process. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really thin in the middle. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for. , if the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook all the method via.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident however doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those completely charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s affordable and chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we must get it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online, I had not been sure. Allow me conserve you some time and energy. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also rather easy to put together – or a minimum of I didn’t hear my companion vow way too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I believe it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, however sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
Something that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust settles on it, however other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t take up excessive space. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of covered room to store it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) but I ensure you, it’s really not. You just connect the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I believe that preparing and making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the setup to be a hassle, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleaning procedure entailed. Generally, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a actually basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s likewise really lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.