Exterior pizza ovens are becoming quite popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast as well as easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however very functional since they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a couple of months back. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, tricks, as well as thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and also requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as also wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior area might really stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza night more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a gas container, as well as after that when we found one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was certainly easier than I expected it to be. Once you attach the lp container, you simply transform it as much as high as well as allow it warm up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both happily surprised at how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and exactly how enjoyable it is to view the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the cool spot which gives you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to low and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be simpler. With that said, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warmth to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit anxious about the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth just right and also keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to master it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been much more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel as well. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist, I truly lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely thin between. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare all the method with.
- Don’t include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident but doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as extremely crisp on the outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s economical as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to acquire it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable as well as rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, however occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
Something that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every so often as dust picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) yet I assure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just connect the propane and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight and also we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience since I assume that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s additionally very lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a little storage space to keep it dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.