Outside pizza ovens are ending up being quite preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy as well as fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet super functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as likewise desired a larger size to make sure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside location might truly spark some joy for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a durable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas tank as well as having it filled might have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and afterwards when we discovered one we had to locate a place to get it filled. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel far, however I called a TON of places prior to I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you connect the gas tank, you simply transform it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both pleasantly amazed at how very easy the Ooni is to make use of as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome place which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as also a great range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the warm to low and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to get the heat perfect and also keep it moving. I was happily surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I might NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound sphere of dough in 2, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then extremely slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not prepare right through.
- Don’t include way too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it leading as well as basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature added added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You want your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but unconvinced that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to remain to describe just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been sure if we ought to purchase it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
Something that truly tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, however besides that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly assist it last much longer. If you do not have any covered room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply attach the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely practical on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience because I assume that making and preparing food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also really light-weight as well as portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.