Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and also very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet super functional since they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my techniques, thoughts, and also suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and also wanted a bigger size so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside area may truly spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night a lot more interesting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that lp storage tank and also having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, and afterwards when we located one we needed to locate a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel much, but I called a TON of areas before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could assume! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins.
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which offers you much more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good distance between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to low and cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature might be simpler. With that said said, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit worried concerning the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as topping. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. I can NOT have actually been more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is very simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then present two pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it easy as well as top gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident but hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the within and also super crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we need to purchase it or just attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t sure. Yet let me save you time and also power. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright ideal dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth. It was also pretty straightforward to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vouch way too much while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely cute as well as quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Obviously, you’ll require to clean down the outside periodically as dust settles on it, yet besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will certainly assist it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of covered space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a great deal of work to get the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the lp as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I assume that making and cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the setup to be a problem, the actual prepping and also preparing to be a bit time-consuming, and also I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure involved. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also very lightweight and portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.