Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred and it’s not difficult to see why! They use a very easy and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet super versatile since they can reach such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my methods, tips, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a bigger dimension so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some joy for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-crafted, high quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you look after it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. I’m not sure why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp container, and after that when we found one we had to discover a location to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! It was definitely much easier than I anticipated it to be. You just turn it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins as soon as you link the lp storage tank. After that lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at how simple the Ooni is to make use of and also how fun it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The great part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a little bit longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that said, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit anxious regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough food preparation process. I might NOT have actually been much more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually lucked out because my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. This will provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not include as well several toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but skeptical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and also extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to explain just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually delicious dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t sure if we should purchase it or simply attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, but apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not occupy excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will certainly help it last longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected area to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. Since I think that making and cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more job. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s also extremely light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside area, a little bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.