Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a quick as well as simple way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however very versatile because they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my techniques, ideas, and pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of being able to utilize gas and additionally desired a larger dimension so that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly trigger some joy for you and make pizza night more exciting!
Also, this is a reliable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp container and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp storage tank, and afterwards as soon as we located one we had to discover a place to get it loaded. Fortunately, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could think! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you link the gas container, you just turn it up to high and also allow it warm up for 20 mins. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple mins. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly shocked at just how simple the Ooni is to utilize and exactly how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy area which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to move the pizza around and likewise a great range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to cook too rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to cooking as well as low it awhile longer at a lower temperature might be much easier. Keeping that said, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs approximately for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit worried concerning the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warmth just right and also maintain it moving. I was happily amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been quite ready to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a challenging cooking process. I can NOT have actually been much more wrong. Using the pizza oven is super easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel too. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also huge unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely burned immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant but hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just makes use of gas. You obtain those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and also extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could attempt to continue to describe just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. I had not been certain if we must purchase it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and also is ready to cook!
>> Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
Something that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust decides on it, however aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected space to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just connect the propane as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I think that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more job. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
It’s also extremely light-weight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside area, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.