Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being quite prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a very easy as well as fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill yet incredibly flexible given that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and ultimately got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my ideas, ideas, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also specs you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and also desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may truly trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening extra amazing!
This is a reliable, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and after that when we discovered one we needed to locate a place to get it filled up. The good news is, our regional equipment store had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, however I called a TON of areas before I can even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the great spot which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good range in between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to low and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be easier. With that said claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for concerning 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit anxious regarding the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the heat just right and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly amazed to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as topping. However honestly, we maintained our Ooni in package for a few weeks since I simply had not been rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a tough cooking procedure. I can NOT have actually been more wrong. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound round of dough in two, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will offer you that signature wood discharged pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add way too many toppings to your pizza. Another way to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Keep it easy and leading lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was confident however hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those completely charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s low-cost and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we must buy it or just try to discover something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Yet let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing around that approaches this table for cheaper. It’s the outright perfect size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s well worth. It was additionally quite basic to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vow way too much while he was putting it with each other and I believe it was performed in less than an hr, even with a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to sanitize or sanitize the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t occupy too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rain will certainly aid it last much longer. If you do not have any covered room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of three) yet I assure you, it’s really not. You just connect the lp and also let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that preparing and making food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal more job. I was expecting the setup to be a trouble, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a little bit lengthy, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleaning procedure required. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a really straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy. As well as clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also really light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.