Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast as well as very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet extremely versatile given that they can get to such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also finally obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my ideas, methods, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands and also budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of having the ability to make use of gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may really spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza evening extra interesting!
This is a well-crafted, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas container as well as having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m unsure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a lp storage tank, and after that once we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled. The good news is, our local hardware shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel much, yet I called a TON of places before I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could assume! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool place which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our preferred food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit anxious regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warm just right and keep it moving. I was happily shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to obtain the hang of it!
Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. Using the pizza oven is very simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more way to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it simple and also top gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added added cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic yet doubtful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also extremely crisp on the outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to continue to describe how delicious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we ought to purchase it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly practical in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One point that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every so often as dirt settles on it, but aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely achievable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. Since I believe that cooking and also making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. I was expecting the setup to be a headache, the actual preparing and prepping to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been certain what the cleansing process required. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a really basic, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. The setup fasts. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s also extremely light-weight and also portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.