Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy and also fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill however super functional considering that they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my tricks, suggestions, and also thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of having the ability to use gas and additionally wanted a larger size so that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may actually stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza evening more amazing!
This is a reliable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. I’m not certain why, however below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas tank, and also after that when we discovered one we had to locate a place to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. However, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the heat to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a reduced temperature may be simpler. With that said claimed, our preferred food preparation method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit nervous concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to get the warmth perfect as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily shocked to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we best the dough shaping and also covering. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a hard cooking process. I could NOT have actually been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. This will give you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not include as well several garnishes to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful however cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the within and also super crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might attempt to continue to describe exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit much more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we should get it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in understanding if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that really attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no requirement to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt settles on it, yet aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered space to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just link the propane as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely practical on a weeknight as well as we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I think that preparing as well as making food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
It’s also really light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside space, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you cook supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.