Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a very easy and also fast way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however super flexible considering that they can reach such a heat and cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours simply a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my pointers, ideas, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as requirements you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a larger size so that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor location might truly spark some pleasure for you and make pizza evening more amazing!
Also, this is a reliable, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank. Finding that propane tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a lp tank, and afterwards once we found one we had to locate a area to get it loaded. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, however I called a TON of areas before I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might believe! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the cool spot which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent range between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the warm to low as well as cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that said stated, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous about the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. I can NOT have been extra wrong. Using the pizza oven is super simple and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and also after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really prevailed since my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. He advises utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the middle. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber fired pizza oven structure you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick between it won’t prepare right through.
- Don’t add too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant however confident that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I could try to continue to explain how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s affordable and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth regarding. If we ought to buy it or just try to find something else comparable online, I wasn’t sure. Allow me save you some time and energy. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute perfect size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty simple to assemble – or at least I didn’t hear my partner vow way too much while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s super practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no demand to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dirt chooses it, however other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last longer. If you do not have any covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of 3) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply attach the lp and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally doable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do say experience since I believe that making and preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual cooking and prepping to be a bit lengthy, and I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure involved. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly easy, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.