Exterior pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a very easy and also quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet extremely versatile given that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, ideas, as well as techniques – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also specs you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might really trigger some delight for you as well as make pizza night extra exciting!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp tank. Finding that lp storage tank and having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and after that once we discovered one we had to find a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of locations before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was certainly less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you attach the gas tank, you simply turn it as much as high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both happily surprised at exactly how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and also exactly how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the cool place which offers you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature might be easier. With that said, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Lower the heat to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a little bit nervous concerning the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth ideal as well as maintain it moving. I was pleasantly shocked to discover that after simply a pair pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one pound ball of dough in 2, and after that roll out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I really lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick between it won’t cook all the way through.
- Don’t add too several toppings to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was unconvinced but hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will certainly be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to get it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, yet in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
Something that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to disinfect or disinfect the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust chooses it, yet apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I guarantee you, it’s truly not. You simply attach the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it delivers. Since I believe that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a really easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s also very lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a little storage area to maintain it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.