Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They use a simple and also quick way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet super flexible considering that they can get to such a high temperature and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately obtained ours just a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my ideas, ideas, and techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to make use of gas and also wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, however below on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a lp tank, and after that when we discovered one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, but I called a TON of places prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may assume! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the great place which provides you more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a great range in between the flame and also the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be simpler. Keeping that said, our favored food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the warmth ideal and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is very easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any concerns.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out since my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically contribute to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, as well as the more toppings you have, the harder it is. Maintain it leading as well as straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Go here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however doubtful that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits around, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to continue to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should get it or just attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels also. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, however often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One thing that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to disinfect or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dirt chooses it, yet other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered space to store it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I believe that making and also preparing food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a whole lot even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a truly basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s additionally extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little storage room to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.