Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a simple and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however very versatile because they can reach such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tips, techniques, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and budget. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as also wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might actually stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza night extra interesting!
Likewise, this is a durable, quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane tank and also having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas container, and then as soon as we found one we had to discover a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, but I called a TON of places before I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also let it cook for a couple mins.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which provides you a lot more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to move the pizza around and also a good range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warmth to reduced and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature might be much easier. With that said claimed, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for about 15-20 mins.
- Reduce the warm to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit worried about the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth perfect and keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I just had not been fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert, I truly lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms until it gets huge enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very thin in the middle. This will offer you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t cook all the way via.
- Don’t add too many toppings to your pizza. One more method to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more toppings you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it simple and also leading gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful yet hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s affordable and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we need to get it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels too. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the very best offer.
One thing that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dust settles on it, but apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any covered room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely manageable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot more work. Overall, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s likewise really lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior space, a little storage area to maintain it completely dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.