Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a fast and easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill but extremely versatile considering that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or not so I’m below to share my methods, tips, as well as ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which means there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as requirements you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of having the ability to make use of gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza evening extra amazing!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas container, and then once we found one we had to find a place to obtain it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the great place which provides you much more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a great distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be simpler. With that said, our favored cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs approximately for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit anxious regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth perfect and also keep it moving. However, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to master it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been much more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out too huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of relocate. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one extra pound round of dough in two, and after that present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He recommends using your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then very thin between. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re searching for. If the crust is also thick in the center it will not cook all the way with.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it leading and also easy lightly. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant however hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might attempt to remain to define exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we need to buy it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s extremely helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, however in some cases they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that really enticed me about the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no need to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every so often as dust settles on it, yet other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up excessive room. Keeping it out of the snow and rain will certainly aid it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected space to store it though.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. Because I assume that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal even more job. I was anticipating the setup to be a hassle, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a little bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather easy. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise really lightweight and also portable so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little bit of storage area to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.