Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred as well as it’s not tough to see why! They supply a fast and also easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet very versatile given that they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours simply a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specifications you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and also desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually spark some joy for you and make pizza night much more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp container. Finding that propane tank and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a lp storage tank, and then as soon as we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our local hardware shop had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The nice component is that the oven only has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to move the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent distance between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to cook too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the warmth to cooking and reduced it for a little bit longer at a reduced temperature might be easier. With that stated, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warmth to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the discovering curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth just right as well as keep it relocating. I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. This will certainly provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make certain that your pizza chefs through, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d suggest adding half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it straightforward and leading gently. This is not the time to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was cynical but confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to continue to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must purchase it or just try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the most effective offer.
One point that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to sanitize the inside or disinfect of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dust picks it, but aside from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it doesn’t take up excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. If you don’t have any type of protected room to save it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover too.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a lot of work to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) but I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally practical on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. Because I think that preparing and also making food really can be an experience, I do state experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal even more work. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also really lightweight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.