Outside pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a fast and also easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet extremely flexible considering that they can get to such a heat and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately obtained ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, tricks, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also spending plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as specifications you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually spark some joy for you and make pizza night more exciting!
This is a well-made, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp storage tank, as well as after that as soon as we found one we had to find a location to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! It was certainly much easier than I anticipated it to be. Once you link the lp container, you just transform it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes. Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a couple minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly stunned at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of as well as how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great place which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking and reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. Keeping that stated, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds or two for concerning 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to obtain the heat just right as well as maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a tough cooking process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel as well. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we make use of all-purpose with no problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re really comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really prevailed due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He suggests using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature timber discharged pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t prepare completely with.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more means to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a regular oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little tricky, and also the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Maintain it top and also straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that particular pizza. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hopeful but doubtful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or just look for another thing similar online. Yet let me save you a long time and energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also pretty straightforward to create – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vow way too much while he was putting it together and also I assume it was carried out in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, yet often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
Something that truly tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no need to decontaminate or sterilize the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, but other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s really not. You simply connect the lp and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I believe that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little bit of storage space to maintain it dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.