Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a very easy as well as fast way to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however extremely functional since they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours just a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my techniques, ideas, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas as well as also wanted a larger size to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more interesting!
This is a well-made, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. Locating that propane storage tank as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, yet right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time discovering a propane container, and after that once we discovered one we needed to find a place to get it filled up. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, but I called a TON of locations prior to I can even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may think! It was definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you attach the propane storage tank, you just transform it as much as high and let it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair mins. My partner and I were both pleasantly shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to use and also how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza chef!
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the cool area which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around and likewise a excellent range in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warmth to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature might be easier. Keeping that claimed, our favored food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious regarding the understanding contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the warm ideal and keep it moving. I was happily amazed to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is super easy as well as I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms till it gets huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very thin in the middle. This will provide you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t prepare right through.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. One more method to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it leading and also straightforward gently. This is not the time to make your trademark added additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was enthusiastic yet cynical that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost identical to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within and also very crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to define how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we need to buy it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very useful in recognizing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp as well as prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, but often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One thing that really lured me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no demand to disinfect or disinfect the within of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior once in a while as dirt settles on it, yet other than that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the propane and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally workable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I believe that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a great deal more job. In general, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little storage space to keep it dry, and enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.