Exterior pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast and also easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however super flexible since they can reach such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours just a few months back. I know you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my pointers, ideas, and also tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and likewise desired a larger dimension to ensure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly trigger some delight for you and make pizza evening much more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane tank. Finding that propane container and also having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane container, and after that when we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip far, but I called a TON of locations prior to I could even discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may think! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. You just transform it up to high and let it warm up for 20 minutes when you connect the propane tank. After that reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion as well as I were both happily surprised at how easy the Ooni is to make use of and also how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front right side is the cool spot which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that said stated, our favored cooking technique is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit nervous concerning the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warmth just right and keep it relocating. I was happily stunned to discover that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and topping. Yet truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking process. I could NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly prevailed due to the fact that my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t cook all the method via.
- Don’t add as well numerous toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be amazed at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we must acquire it or just try to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels also. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no demand to sanitize or sanitize the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust decides on it, but besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply connect the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience due to the fact that I assume that making and also cooking food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing procedure entailed. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather simple. And also clean-up is basically non-existent.
It’s additionally very light-weight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.