Ooni Pizza Oven Mini
Outdoor pizza ovens are ending up being rather preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a simple and fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however extremely flexible because they can get to such a high temperature and also cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months back. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my tricks, tips, and thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as likewise desired a bigger size so that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your outside location may actually stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza evening more amazing!
Also, this is a reliable, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you deal with it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally assembled out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. Tracking down that gas tank as well as having it filled up may have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, and afterwards once we found one we needed to find a area to get it filled up. Thankfully, our regional hardware store had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to take a trip far, however I called a TON of places prior to I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the great spot which provides you extra control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and also reduced it awhile longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the warmth ideal and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also topping. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I just had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was mosting likely to be a tough food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. This will provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not include too many toppings to your pizza. Another method to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was cynical however hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could attempt to remain to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just say, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we need to acquire it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
>> Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that actually lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every so often as dust settles on it, yet aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy excessive space. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly help it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any covered area to keep it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just link the propane and let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. Because I assume that making and also cooking food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal even more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a hassle, the real preparing as well as prepping to be a little bit taxing, as well as I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process required. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy. As well as clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also really light-weight and mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.