Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming quite prominent and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a easy and quick method to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but extremely functional since they can reach such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately got ours simply a few months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my techniques, thoughts, and also suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and also gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as also desired a larger dimension so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may truly stimulate some joy for you and also make pizza evening more exciting!
This is a reliable, top quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp tank. Locating that lp tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m uncertain why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, and afterwards once we found one we needed to locate a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of places before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you may believe! It was definitely easier than I expected it to be. Once you attach the gas container, you just turn it up to high and let it warm up for 20 mins. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both pleasantly shocked at just how simple the Ooni is to make use of and just how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing place which gives you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to move the pizza around and also a good distance in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. Keeping that stated, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit nervous about the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the heat ideal and keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and also covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. I could NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very easy and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel as well. This will certainly make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel as well as transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, but we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically divide a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I actually lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that really thin in the middle. This will provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t prepare all the means through.
- Do not add too numerous toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your full interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident but doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also extremely crisp outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we need to purchase it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are rather similar, but often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
Something that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every so often as dust settles on it, but besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any type of protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) yet I assure you, it’s actually not. You just attach the propane as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I think that preparing and also making food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual prepping and also cooking to be a bit time-consuming, as well as I had not been sure what the cleaning procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a actually simple, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s likewise really lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor room, a little storage room to maintain it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven and determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.