Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They provide a very easy and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill yet extremely functional since they can get to such a heat as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, methods, and thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to use gas as well as likewise desired a bigger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior location might really trigger some happiness for you and also make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas tank. Finding that lp storage tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a lp container, and then once we found one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Luckily, our regional equipment store had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel far, yet I called a TON of places before I can also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and also allow it prepare for a pair mins.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the trendy place which offers you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around and additionally a good range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also swiftly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warm to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a lower temperature could be easier. With that said, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit worried about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth ideal and keep it moving. I was happily surprised to locate that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation process. I can NOT have actually been a lot more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel too. This will make it simpler to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re really comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound ball of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains large enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the middle. This will give you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick in the center it won’t cook completely via.
- Do not include as well numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another method to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly recommend adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hopeful however skeptical that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within and also extremely crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I might try to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s low-cost and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d very recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we ought to get it or simply try to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly handy in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best bargain.
One thing that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no need to disinfect the within or sanitize of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior from time to time as dust settles on it, however apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t occupy too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last longer. If you do not have any type of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You just attach the propane as well as let it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual cooking and also prepping to be a little bit lengthy, as well as I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s likewise really light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.