Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They offer a fast and easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet extremely flexible considering that they can get to such a heat and cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and finally obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my pointers, tricks, as well as thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the size and specs you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas as well as additionally wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location may actually trigger some happiness for you and also make pizza night a lot more amazing!
Likewise, this is a durable, high quality cooking home appliance that is mosting likely to last for years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp container as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a propane tank, and after that as soon as we located one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. Thankfully, our regional equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you might believe! It was certainly easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 mins as soon as you link the propane tank. Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and also I were both happily shocked at how very easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as just how enjoyable it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which provides you extra control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to relocate the pizza around and additionally a great range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit longer at a reduced temp may be easier. With that said stated, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for about 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried about the learning contour of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to obtain the warm ideal and also keep it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a pair pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re really comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I truly lucked out since my companion utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms till it gets big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare all the means through.
- Do not add also several toppings to your pizza. One more way to make certain that your pizza chefs via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident but unconvinced that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza even though it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred bits around, the crust is tender on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and also the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I can attempt to continue to define just how delicious the pizza is, but let me simply say, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective and cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we must buy it or simply search for another thing comparable online. Allow me conserve you some time and energy. There is nothing around that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal size, comes with a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was additionally pretty easy to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vow too much while he was putting it together and also I believe it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s extremely handy in knowing if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, yet often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best deal.
One point that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no need to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt settles on it, but aside from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it doesn’t use up too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly assist it last longer. If you don’t have any protected area to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a lot of job to get the Ooni good to go up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) however I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the propane and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that cooking as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more work. I was anticipating the configuration to be a trouble, the actual cooking and prepping to be a bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleansing procedure involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty very easy. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally very light-weight and portable so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.