Ooni Pizza Oven Gas Bottle
Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They supply a fast and also very easy way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill yet very versatile given that they can get to such a heat and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, techniques, and also suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza evening a lot more amazing!
This is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally set up out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane container if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and afterwards as soon as we located one we had to locate a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel far, yet I called a TON of locations prior to I could also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! Lower the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the awesome place which offers you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a great range between the fire as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the heat to cooking and low it for a bit longer at a reduced temp may be simpler. With that said stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a bit nervous regarding the understanding curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to get the warmth just right and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy and I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we utilize all-purpose with no concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound round of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. Because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that extremely slim in the middle. This will certainly give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not prepare completely with.
- Don’t add also lots of garnishes to your pizza. Another way to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Do not get distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hopeful but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to remain to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. If we must acquire it or just try to find something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Let me save you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the outright perfect size, includes a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s well worth. It was likewise pretty basic to create – or a minimum of I really did not hear my partner vow excessive while he was putting it together as well as I think it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels too. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super adorable and rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s very valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
>> Click here to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven <<
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty similar, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that actually enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every so often as dust picks it, yet aside from that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and it does not use up excessive room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of protected room to save it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. You just attach the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a problem, the real prepping and also preparing to be a little bit lengthy, and also I had not been certain what the cleaning process involved. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly straightforward, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite easy. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise very light-weight as well as mobile so I can completely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.