Exterior pizza ovens are ending up being rather popular as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a easy and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however extremely versatile considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my thoughts, suggestions, as well as techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of having the ability to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. While it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, as well as after that when we found one we had to find a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may think! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing area which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of room to move the pizza around and likewise a excellent range between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube videos that claimed transforming the heat to cooking and also reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be easier. Keeping that said, our favored food preparation technique is to:
- Heat the oven above for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried about the discovering curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warm ideal and also keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
I think we get a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping and also topping. However honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging cooking process. I could NOT have actually been extra incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we make use of all-purpose with no concerns.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, as well as after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a specialist, I actually lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it gets large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely thin between. This will give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. If the crust is also thick between it will not cook right via.
- Do not include too lots of garnishes to your pizza. An additional means to make sure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I ‘d suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your complete interest on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident but hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within and very crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we must buy it or simply try to find another thing similar online. Allow me conserve you some time and also power. There is nothing out there that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute best dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also rather simple to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vow way too much while he was placing it together and I believe it was done in less than an hr, despite having a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable as well as quite inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat however I’ve listened to that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the within or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior periodically as dirt decides on it, however aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered area to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a lot of job to get the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You just connect the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s completely workable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience because I believe that cooking and also making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a problem, the real cooking and also prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t sure what the cleansing process involved. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather simple. And also clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely light-weight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior room, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and also take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.