Outside pizza ovens are becoming quite preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They supply a fast as well as very easy way to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet very functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and also ultimately got ours simply a few months earlier. I understand you’ve been curious concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, tips, and ideas – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and also desired a bigger dimension so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may truly spark some happiness for you and also make pizza night more interesting!
Likewise, this is a well-made, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost entirely put together out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas container. Locating that lp tank as well as having it filled may have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and then once we found one we needed to discover a area to get it filled up. Luckily, our neighborhood hardware shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we really did not have to travel much, but I called a TON of locations before I could also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front best side is the great area which provides you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a great distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for novice pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warm to cooking as well as reduced it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. Keeping that said, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly say I was a bit worried concerning the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat just right and maintain it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after just a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I believe we obtain a little better each time as we perfect the dough shaping as well as covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I can NOT have actually been more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will make it less complicated to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour functions best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no problems.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The secret to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert. This will give you that signature timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for.
- Do not add a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another means to make certain that your pizza cooks via, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it leading as well as basic gently. This is not the moment to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant however hopeful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The taste is virtually identical to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside and also super crisp outside, as well as celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I could try to remain to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a truly scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit a lot more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. If we ought to buy it or just attempt to locate something else comparable online, I had not been certain. Yet let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate to and fro. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was also quite easy to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vouch excessive while he was putting it together and also I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s extremely handy in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best bargain.
Something that actually attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no need to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every now and then as dust picks it, yet other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not occupy way too much area. Keeping it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of protected space to store it however.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp and also allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that cooking and also making food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more job. In general, I am definitely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a actually easy, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and also mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior room, a little storage room to keep it completely dry, and take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.