Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a quick as well as very easy means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill however extremely functional since they can reach such a high temperature and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my methods, thoughts, and also tips – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as thoughts are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specifications you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to utilize gas and additionally wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly spark some happiness for you as well as make pizza night more interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you look after it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely set up out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas container. I’m not certain why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas tank, and also then when we found one we had to locate a place to get it filled.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was certainly simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it warm up for 20 mins once you link the lp storage tank. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes. My companion and I were both happily shocked at exactly how easy the Ooni is to utilize and also how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The great component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front right side is the trendy place which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you plenty of area to move the pizza around and additionally a good range between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well rapidly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed turning the warmth to cooking and reduced it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature may be less complicated. With that stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little difficult to obtain the heat just right and keep it relocating. Nevertheless, I was pleasantly shocked to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is super very easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also gently powder the pizza peel. This will certainly make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound round of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I really lucked out due to the fact that my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He suggests using your fingers to carefully create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth in between your hands/forearms until it gets large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very thin in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook right through.
- Do not add too many garnishes to your pizza. Another method to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it really minimally. I ‘d recommend adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a regular oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Keep it basic as well as leading gently. This is not the time to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to completely melted immediately.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful but enthusiastic that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and extremely crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to define just how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the difference between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s cost-effective and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must buy it or simply look for another thing similar online. Yet let me conserve you time as well as energy. There is absolutely nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best size, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth. It was also rather easy to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion swear excessive while he was putting it together and also I think it was carried out in less than an hr, despite a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute as well as pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s very useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that really lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll require to clean down the outside from time to time as dust decides on it, however other than that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni ready up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) however I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just attach the gas and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. I do state experience due to the fact that I believe that making as well as preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a great deal more job. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, straightforward, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s also really light-weight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.