Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as very easy method to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet extremely versatile given that they can reach such a heat as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and lastly got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my suggestions, methods, and also thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and specs you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and also desired a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may really spark some pleasure for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, quality food preparation appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you deal with it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas container if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that lp storage tank and having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time locating a gas storage tank, and afterwards once we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local hardware shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, however I called a TON of areas prior to I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the trendy area which gives you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around and also a good distance between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to cook also rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. For beginner pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and low it for a little bit much longer at a lower temperature could be less complicated. With that said claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to get the heat just right and also keep it relocating. However, I was happily amazed to find that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as topping. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I thought was going to be a challenging cooking procedure. I could NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel too. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and transfer it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, however we use all-purpose with no issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re really comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly separate a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards present 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The key to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a expert, I truly lucked out. He recommends using your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms till it gets large enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and then really slim in the center. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it will not cook all the method with.
- Don’t include also numerous toppings to your pizza. An additional method to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to top it really minimally. I would certainly suggest including half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a normal oven.
- Do not get sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s essential to maintain a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic yet hesitant that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside and super crisp on the outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to describe just how tasty the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly delicious dough that’s affordable as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should acquire it or simply attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are actually getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute and pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s extremely useful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the best deal.
One point that really enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Obviously, you’ll require to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt chooses it, however besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all established up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You just connect the propane as well as let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience because I believe that preparing and also making food truly can be an experience.
My general ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal more work. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual prepping as well as cooking to be a bit lengthy, and I had not been certain what the cleaning procedure involved. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually basic, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The configuration is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather simple. And clean-up is practically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also really light-weight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior space, a little storage area to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.