Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and also it’s not tough to see why! They offer a easy and quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but incredibly flexible since they can get to such a high temperature and prepare all type of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and lastly obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my thoughts, tricks, and also suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas as well as opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous models to select from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension as well as specifications you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area might truly trigger some pleasure for you as well as make pizza evening extra exciting!
This is a well-made, quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time discovering a gas storage tank, and also after that when we discovered one we had to discover a place to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could believe! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as let it cook for a pair mins.
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the awesome place which offers you a lot more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of area to move the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare as well swiftly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warm to low and also cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temperature could be much easier. With that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a bit nervous about the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm ideal and keep it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily stunned to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. Honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. I could NOT have actually been more incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is super simple as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to assemble the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the much more likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I actually lucked out due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely slim between. This will offer you that signature timber terminated pizza oven structure you’re trying to find. If the crust is too thick in the center it won’t cook completely with.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it top and also basic gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was doubtful but hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is almost identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as very crisp outside, as well as celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s affordable as well as cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy take care of makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we ought to get it or simply attempt to discover something else similar online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me conserve you some time as well as power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best size, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was additionally rather basic to create – or at least I really did not hear my companion promise excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I believe it was done in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off too. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable as well as quite budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s extremely valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, yet sometimes they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
Something that actually attracted me about the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dust decides on it, but besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not occupy too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will help it last much longer. If you don’t have any kind of protected room to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could look like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni good to go up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) yet I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the propane and also let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely manageable on a weeknight and we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do say experience due to the fact that I think that making and cooking food actually can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a whole lot even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly simple, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s also very lightweight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little exterior area, a little bit of storage room to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.