Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be quite prominent and it’s not difficult to see why! They offer a fast as well as easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but extremely flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, tips, and also tricks – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all viewpoints and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood and gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also specifications you select.
We selected the 16″ Koda because we liked the convenience of being able to use gas and also desired a larger size to make sure that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
This is a durable, top quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly entirely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as placed the pizza stone in it!
You will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that gas storage tank as well as having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, but right here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a lp tank, and then as soon as we found one we needed to find a location to get it filled. The good news is, our regional hardware shop had one left, and the gas station down the street can fill them so we really did not need to take a trip much, however I called a TON of places before I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the great area which offers you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the heat to cooking as well as reduced it awhile longer at a lower temp may be simpler. With that said stated, our favored cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to low and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little complicated to get the warmth perfect and maintain it moving. I was happily stunned to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy as well as I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel as well. This will make it easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose with no issues.
- Don’t roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards scoot it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually divide a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and then turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. I actually prevailed because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. He suggests utilizing your fingers to delicately create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and after that very slim between. This will give you that signature wood discharged pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the way via.
- Do not add as well several toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d recommend including half of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that particular pizza. With the within the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Go here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic yet skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those flawlessly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as very crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I might try to continue to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be surprised at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive and also chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. I had not been certain if we must get it or simply attempt to find something else comparable online. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off too. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very adorable and also pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve listened to that it’s super valuable in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, yet often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to decontaminate or sanitize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt chooses it, but aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and also it does not use up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rain will help it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of covered room to keep it though.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a household of three) but I ensure you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you just attach the lp and allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight and also we have not cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it delivers. Due to the fact that I assume that making and preparing food truly can be an experience, I do state experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot more work. On the whole, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s additionally extremely lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor space, a little storage room to maintain it dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.