Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They use a quick and easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a traditional grill but very flexible considering that they can get to such a heat and cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly obtained ours simply a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my ideas, suggestions, and techniques – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins as well as can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to select from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands and also budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you pick.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas and also desired a larger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really stimulate some happiness for you and make pizza night much more exciting!
This is a well-made, quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
You will need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that lp tank as well as having it loaded might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m unsure why, yet right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time locating a gas container, and after that when we discovered one we needed to discover a location to get it filled up. Thankfully, our local hardware shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we really did not have to travel far, but I called a TON of areas prior to I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair minutes.
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the amazing area which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of area to relocate the pizza around as well as also a good distance between the pizza as well as the flame itself in case it begins to prepare also swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated turning the heat to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warm to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous about the knowing contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat ideal and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to discover that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to obtain the hang of it!
I think we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping as well as covering. Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been fairly ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a hard cooking process. I can NOT have been a lot more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re very comfy with the process of moving it. You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I actually lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will provide you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d generally add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So keep it top and basic gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. You want your full attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely burned immediately.
Click on this link to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical yet confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only makes use of gas. You get those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to continue to describe how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s economical and also cooks really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. If we must purchase it or just try to locate something else comparable online, I wasn’t certain. Allow me save you some time and power. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the absolute best dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are actually getting your money’s well worth. It was likewise quite basic to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner swear excessive while he was placing it together and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super valuable in understanding if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty comparable, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no need to disinfect or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust decides on it, yet other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it does not use up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow and also rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any kind of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover also.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni ready up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family of 3) but I assure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you just connect the lp and also allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s totally achievable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I think that making and also preparing food actually can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a whole lot even more job. Overall, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is in fact a truly straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s likewise extremely light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small exterior area, a bit of storage room to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.