Outside pizza ovens are ending up being fairly popular and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a very easy and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill yet very versatile given that they can reach such a high temperature and prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven forever and ultimately got ours just a few months ago. I recognize you’ve wondered about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my tricks, ideas, and tips – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 mins as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your requirements and spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and specifications you select.
We went with the 16″ Koda since we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, including a pizza oven to your outdoor area may really trigger some joy for you and also make pizza night more amazing!
This is a well-made, top quality cooking device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to use it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually completely set up out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp container. I’m not certain why, however right here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp container, and after that when we discovered one we had to find a place to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may assume! It was most definitely easier than I anticipated it to be. You simply turn it up to high as well as allow it heat up for 20 mins once you connect the propane tank. Then reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a couple mins. My partner and also I were both happily amazed at just how very easy the Ooni is to utilize and also how fun it is to see the pizza chef!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome area which gives you more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent distance in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to cooking and reduced it for a bit much longer at a reduced temperature may be much easier. With that claimed, our preferred food preparation technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to low and include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous about the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to get the heat just right and maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly stunned to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little better each time as we excellent the dough shaping and also topping. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a difficult food preparation procedure. I might NOT have been a lot more wrong. Using the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, then relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the extra likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- The trick to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my companion used to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Do not add also several toppings to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly advise including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was enthusiastic however cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred little bits around, the crust hurts on the within and incredibly crisp outside, and celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to continue to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, however let me just say, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s economical and chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a bit more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or just search for something else comparable online. Let me save you some time and also power. There is nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate backward and forward. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s well worth. It was also quite straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner promise excessive while he was putting it with each other as well as I think it was performed in less than an hr, despite having a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and pretty economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are quite similar, but sometimes they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that actually tempted me about the Ooni was that you don’t have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside every so often as dirt picks it, yet besides that no cleaning is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not occupy too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. If you do not have any covered room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of 3) however I assure you, it’s really not. You just connect the gas as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it provides. Because I believe that making and cooking food really can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a truly basic, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
It’s additionally very lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.