Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly prominent and it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast and very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill yet very versatile considering that they can get to such a heat as well as cook all type of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as ultimately got ours just a couple of months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, tricks, and tips – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the size as well as requirements you choose.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we suched as the convenience of being able to use gas and also wanted a bigger dimension to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location might actually spark some joy for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
Also, this is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is mosting likely to last for many years as long as you deal with it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Locating that gas storage tank and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not sure why, but below on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time finding a lp container, and after that once we discovered one we needed to discover a place to get it filled up. Fortunately, our local equipment shop had one left, and the filling station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to travel much, but I called a TON of places prior to I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might assume! It was certainly less complicated than I anticipated it to be. When you attach the lp storage tank, you just transform it as much as high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a couple minutes. My partner and also I were both happily surprised at exactly how easy the Ooni is to use and just how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The nice part is that the oven just has fires on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the awesome spot which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as additionally a great distance in between the fire and also the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For amateur pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated turning the warmth to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that said said, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried about the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to obtain the warm just right and keep it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you really start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply wasn’t quite ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking process. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly very easy and I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally divide a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a professional. He recommends using your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin between. This will certainly offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re seeking. , if the crust is also thick in the middle it will not prepare all the method via.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. An additional method to make sure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly advise adding half of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it straightforward and leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from perfectly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic yet doubtful that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the within and very crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might attempt to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just say, you will be amazed at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s cost-effective and cooks truly well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza turning wheel to assist you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit much more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I wasn’t certain if we ought to buy it or simply look for something else comparable online. Let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the outright perfect dimension, includes a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth. It was also pretty easy to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my partner promise way too much while he was placing it with each other as well as I assume it was performed in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat however I’ve heard that it’s super useful in knowing if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the best offer.
One thing that actually lured me concerning the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s actually no demand to decontaminate or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior periodically as dust decides on it, but other than that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the edge of our garage and it does not take up excessive area. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly assist it last longer. If you do not have any type of covered space to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. You just link the lp as well as allow it heat while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I assume that making and cooking food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a lot even more job. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raging, it’s likewise really lightweight as well as portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a bit of storage area to maintain it dry, and also delight in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as make a decision which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.