Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and also it’s not hard to see why! They offer a quick as well as easy means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as convenient as a classic grill yet super versatile because they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever as well as lastly obtained ours just a couple of months earlier. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my ideas, tricks, and also thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as point of views are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several versions to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood and also gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and specifications you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the ease of being able to utilize gas and likewise wanted a larger size so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might truly stimulate some happiness for you and make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a well-crafted, top quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. Tracking down that gas tank and having it filled up might have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas container, and then when we found one we needed to find a location to get it filled up. Fortunately, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the gasoline station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel far, however I called a TON of places before I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could assume! It was absolutely simpler than I expected it to be. You simply transform it up to high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes once you connect the propane container. Lower the warmth, throw your pizza in, as well as allow it cook for a pair minutes. My companion and also I were both pleasantly surprised at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize as well as exactly how enjoyable it is to view the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven only has fires on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the trendy place which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range between the pizza and also the fire itself in case it begins to prepare too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it completely can. Nonetheless, for beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to reduced as well as cooking it awhile longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that stated, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the warm to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit nervous regarding the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little tricky to obtain the warm perfect as well as keep it moving. I was pleasantly surprised to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy as well as I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel and right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t overwork the dough. The secret to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as feasible. Since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards extremely slim between. This will offer you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it will not cook right through.
- Don’t add too numerous toppings to your pizza. Another means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly suggest adding half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to completely burned in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to have a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was skeptical yet confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it just utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside as well as extremely crisp on the outside, and the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could attempt to remain to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, yet let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 breaks of 10. They have a really delicious dough that’s cost-effective and chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just use the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. If we should buy it or simply attempt to locate something else similar online, I had not been sure. Let me conserve you some time and also energy. There is absolutely nothing available that approaches this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute perfect size, features a shelf, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can conveniently relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really getting your money’s worth. It was also quite straightforward to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion promise way too much while he was putting it together and also I assume it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming as well as quite cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in understanding if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite comparable, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the very best bargain.
One point that really lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no demand to disinfect or sanitize the inside of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to clean down the outside periodically as dirt decides on it, however aside from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage as well as it does not occupy too much room. Maintaining it out of the snow and rainfall will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any type of protected space to keep it however.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may feel like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) yet I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it simple to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the lp and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely practical on a weeknight and also we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle was about. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it delivers. Since I believe that preparing as well as making food really can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot more job. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s also very lightweight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor area, a bit of storage space to keep it dry, as well as delight in having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.