Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly popular and it’s not tough to see why! They supply a quick and also simple way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a timeless grill however incredibly functional considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m below to share my methods, ideas, and pointers – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views as well as thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of designs to choose from, which indicates there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in rate from $299-$ 799 depending on the dimension and also requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to use gas as well as also wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your outside location might really stimulate some pleasure for you and make pizza evening more amazing!
This is a well-made, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to use it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely constructed out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp tank. I’m not sure why, however below on the West coast, we had a heck of a time discovering a gas storage tank, as well as then when we discovered one we had to locate a area to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you may believe! It was absolutely simpler than I expected it to be. Once you attach the lp storage tank, you simply transform it up to high and also let it warm up for 20 minutes. After that lower the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it cook for a couple mins. My companion and also I were both pleasantly stunned at exactly how simple the Ooni is to utilize and also exactly how enjoyable it is to see the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven only has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the awesome area which gives you a lot more control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of area to move the pizza around and also a great distance between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to cook too promptly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nonetheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that said transforming the warm to reduced and cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that said, our preferred cooking approach is to:
- Warmth the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for regarding 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous about the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warm perfect and maintain it moving. Nevertheless, I was happily surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
I assume we obtain a little much better each time as we best the dough shaping as well as covering. Yet honestly, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I just wasn’t fairly all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a tough cooking process. I can NOT have been extra incorrect. Using the pizza oven is incredibly simple and also I desire we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. As well as lightly powder the pizza peel too. This will make it much easier to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, but we use all-purpose without any problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to construct the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually separate a one extra pound sphere of dough in two, and after that present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. Since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist, I really lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward between your hands/forearms until it obtains big enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very thin in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature timber fired pizza oven texture you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook right via.
- Don’t include too numerous garnishes to your pizza. Another means to ensure that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly suggest adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a routine oven.
- Do not get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. With the within the oven getting to temps over 900 degrees, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed immediately.
Go here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical but confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it just uses gas. You get those flawlessly charred bits around, the crust hurts on the inside as well as super crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to define exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply state, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s affordable and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been certain if we must buy it or simply search for another thing similar online. Let me conserve you some time as well as power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It additionally has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth. It was likewise rather easy to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion vow excessive while he was putting it with each other and I believe it was carried out in less than an hr, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer however I’ve heard that it’s very useful in understanding if the pizza oven has gotten up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather similar, however occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
Something that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no requirement to disinfect the inside or sanitize of it. Certainly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside from time to time as dust chooses it, however besides that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t take up too much room. Keeping it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly aid it last much longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you don’t have any covered area to keep it though.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) but I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply connect the lp and let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience because I assume that cooking as well as making food really can be an experience.
My general thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more job. In general, I am definitely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a actually simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather easy.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally really lightweight and mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.