Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather popular as well as it’s not tough to see why! They provide a quick and also very easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet super functional since they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as ultimately obtained ours just a few months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, ideas, as well as pointers – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which means there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you pick.
We selected the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the convenience of having the ability to make use of gas as well as likewise wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, including a pizza oven to your outside area might truly spark some joy for you and make pizza night extra interesting!
Additionally, this is a well-made, quality food preparation device that is mosting likely to last for several years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly totally set up out of package. All you have to do is unfold the legs as well as placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp container. Finding that gas container and also having it loaded could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m uncertain why, yet below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane tank, and after that when we located one we had to find a place to get it loaded. Fortunately, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! It was most definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. When you connect the propane container, you simply turn it as much as high and allow it warm up for 20 minutes. After that reduced the heat, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly stunned at how simple the Ooni is to utilize and also how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The wonderful component is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front right side is the cool area which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent distance between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it starts to prepare also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. Nevertheless, for amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube video clips that stated turning the warm to cooking and also low it awhile much longer at a reduced temperature might be less complicated. With that stated, our liked cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to low and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending upon the size of the pie and the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit anxious about the knowing curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was mosting likely to be a little challenging to obtain the warmth just right as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily surprised to find that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little far better each time as we perfect the dough shaping and covering. But honestly, we kept our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I thought was going to be a tough cooking process. I might NOT have been extra incorrect. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel. This will certainly make it easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we utilize all-purpose without any issues.
- Do not roll the crust out as well big unless you’re very comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and afterwards run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can take care of a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist, I truly lucked out. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. After that slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms until it gets huge sufficient. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that really slim in the middle. This will give you that trademark wood fired pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is also thick between it won’t prepare completely through.
- Do not include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including half of what you ‘d generally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I pointed out, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, as well as the even more toppings you have, the trickier it is. So maintain it top and basic gently. This is not the time to make your signature extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to flawlessly melted immediately.
Visit this site to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was confident but doubtful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was surprised!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You obtain those perfectly charred bits all over, the crust is tender on the within and super crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to explain just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or simply try to find another thing comparable online. However let me save you time and energy. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright best dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise quite easy to assemble – or at least I really did not hear my partner swear excessive while he was placing it with each other and I think it was performed in less than an hour, despite a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and also pretty budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in understanding if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are pretty comparable, yet in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the most effective deal.
One point that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s really no requirement to sanitize the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dust picks it, however besides that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of protected room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might look like a lot of work to obtain the Ooni good to go up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of three) but I ensure you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply connect the propane and let it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely achievable on a weeknight and also we have not prepared a pizza in our oven given that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do say experience since I think that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a lot even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is actually a actually basic, simple, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is pretty very easy.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and portable so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outside space, a bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, and also appreciate having a drink outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.