Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy and also quick method to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a traditional grill but super functional given that they can get to such a heat and also prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a few months earlier. I know you’ve been curious regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my tricks, ideas, and ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts and viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous designs to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood as well as gas. They range in rate from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we liked the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and likewise desired a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may actually trigger some joy for you and make pizza night a lot more amazing!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will require to buy a 1 pound or a 20 pound lp container. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time finding a propane tank, as well as after that as soon as we located one we had to discover a place to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! It was most definitely less complicated than I expected it to be. Once you link the lp storage tank, you simply transform it as much as high and allow it heat up for 20 minutes. Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple mins. My companion and I were both pleasantly stunned at how very easy the Ooni is to use as well as exactly how fun it is to view the pizza cook!
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front best side is the cool spot which offers you extra control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you a lot of room to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it completely can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube videos that claimed transforming the warm to cooking and also low it for a bit much longer at a reduced temp might be easier. Keeping that stated, our chosen food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for regarding 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a bit worried concerning the knowing curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth ideal and maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly amazed to find that after simply a pair pizzas you truly begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking process. Using the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And also gently flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfy with the process of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The larger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound sphere of dough in two, and then turn out two pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Since my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I truly lucked out. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back as well as forth between your hands/forearms until it obtains big sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then really slim in the center. This will certainly give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it won’t cook completely with.
- Do not include way too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to make sure that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding half of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and the even more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. Keep it straightforward and also top gently. This is not the moment to make your signature added extra cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from completely done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Click on this link to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was hesitant however confident that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it just makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred bits throughout, the crust hurts on the within as well as super crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, but let me just state, you will certainly be impressed at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s cost-effective as well as chefs truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just use the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we ought to buy it or just look for something else comparable online. Allow me save you some time and also power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the outright ideal dimension, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly move it back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to assemble – or a minimum of I really did not hear my companion swear too much while he was putting it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, even with a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly cute as well as pretty budget-friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermometer yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather similar, yet occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best bargain.
One point that truly enticed me concerning the Ooni was that you do not need to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the outside from time to time as dirt chooses it, however apart from that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of covered space to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni prepared up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply link the propane and also allow it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s totally manageable on a weeknight as well as we haven’t prepared a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do claim experience since I assume that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting whatever to be a great deal more work. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really easy, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is pretty simple.
It’s also very light-weight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor room, a little storage space to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crunchy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.