Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather popular and also it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a simple and fast means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however extremely functional given that they can reach such a heat and also prepare all type of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently and also ultimately obtained ours simply a few months earlier. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m below to share my tricks, tips, as well as thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and also ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to select from, which implies there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements and also budget. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension as well as specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the convenience of being able to utilize gas as well as additionally wanted a bigger dimension to make sure that we had the option to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outside area may really stimulate some delight for you and also make pizza night more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a pair times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound propane storage tank. Finding that gas storage tank as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not sure why, however below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas container, and afterwards as soon as we discovered one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional hardware shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of places before I can even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you could think! Lower the warm, throw your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins.
The great component is that the oven only has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the great area which provides you more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to move the pizza around as well as likewise a excellent range between the pizza and the fire itself in case it begins to cook also quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For amateur pizza cooks like ourselves, we discovered a couple YouTube video clips that said turning the warmth to low and also cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temperature may be much easier. With that said stated, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 minutes relying on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little challenging to get the warmth just right and also keep it moving. Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I just wasn’t rather all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Making use of the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly flour the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re extremely comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I usually split a one extra pound round of dough in 2, and afterwards present two pizzas from that.
- Don’t strain the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I really prevailed since my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a professional. He suggests using your fingers to carefully create the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms till it obtains big sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really slim in the center. This will certainly provide you that signature wood fired pizza oven structure you’re searching for. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not prepare all the way through.
- Do not include also many toppings to your pizza. One more method to guarantee that your pizza chefs via, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually add to a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that particular pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Click here to take a look at the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was unconvinced yet confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust is tender on the within as well as very crisp on the outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just mins.
I could try to remain to explain just how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long take care of makes it easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the turning peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Large Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we need to buy it or just try to find another thing similar online. Allow me conserve you some time and also energy. There is nothing available that approaches this table for less costly. It’s the outright best size, comes with a shelf, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can easily relocate to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was additionally pretty simple to create – or at least I didn’t hear my partner promise too much while he was placing it together as well as I assume it was carried out in less than an hour, despite a 5 year old ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off also. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly adorable and also rather budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s extremely practical in knowing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are quite similar, however often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
One point that truly tempted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so hot that there’s truly no demand to disinfect the within or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt picks it, yet aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to get the Ooni prepared up just to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a household of three) but I assure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply attach the lp and allow it heat while you make the pizzas. It’s absolutely doable on a weeknight as well as we have not cooked a pizza in our oven because we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it supplies. I do say experience since I believe that making and preparing food really can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a great deal even more work. I was anticipating the setup to be a trouble, the actual prepping and cooking to be a little bit time-consuming, and I had not been sure what the cleansing procedure required. On the whole, I am definitely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really basic, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, warming the oven, and preparing the pizzas is pretty simple. As well as clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally extremely lightweight as well as portable so I can completely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside room, a little storage room to keep it dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you cook dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to check out the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.