Outside pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred and it’s not tough to see why! They provide a easy and fast means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as convenient as a timeless grill however incredibly versatile because they can reach such a heat and prepare all kinds of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven permanently and finally obtained ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve wondered concerning whether I think it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m here to share my tricks, tips, and thoughts – AND whether I think the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all thoughts as well as viewpoints are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to pick from, which implies there’s likely one that will fit your needs as well as spending plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specs you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas as well as also desired a bigger size so that we had the option to cook bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior area might actually spark some delight for you as well as make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a reliable, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at least a couple times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely constructed out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly require to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank. I’m not certain why, yet right here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time discovering a propane tank, and then as soon as we discovered one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might think! It was absolutely simpler than I anticipated it to be. You simply transform it up to high as well as let it heat up for 20 minutes once you attach the gas storage tank. After that reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair mins. My partner as well as I were both happily stunned at just how easy the Ooni is to utilize and also just how enjoyable it is to enjoy the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front ideal side is the amazing spot which offers you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you a lot of space to relocate the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the pizza and the fire itself in case it starts to prepare too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. However, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that stated transforming the heat to cooking and also reduced it awhile much longer at a lower temperature may be easier. Keeping that claimed, our liked food preparation method is to:
- Heat the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Lower the warmth to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, revolving it every 20-30 secs or two for about 2-3 mins depending upon the dimension of the pie and also the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a little bit worried about the knowing contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little tricky to get the warm perfect and also keep it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a challenging food preparation process. Utilizing the pizza oven is extremely simple as well as I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel too. This will make it simpler to relocate the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose without any problems.
- You’ll have to set up the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also after that run it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly prevailed since my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently produce the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms up until it gets big enough. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely slim in the middle. This will offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. , if the crust is too thick in the center it will not cook all the way via.
- Do not include too numerous toppings to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a normal oven.
- Do not obtain distracted. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from perfectly done, to completely burned immediately.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was doubtful yet hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the within and also super crisp outside, and also the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can attempt to remain to define how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be astonished at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s low-cost and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the turning peel yet however I ‘d very suggest the pizza turning wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit a lot more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth about. If we should get it or simply attempt to discover something else comparable online, I had not been sure. Allow me conserve you some time as well as energy. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for more affordable. It’s the absolute excellent dimension, features a rack, hanging dowels and also it’s on the wheels so you can quickly relocate back and forth. It also has brakes. For $250 you are actually obtaining your money’s well worth. It was additionally rather basic to put together – or at least I didn’t hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it together and also I believe it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super charming and also rather inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s incredibly valuable in knowing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their web site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, yet often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
Something that really enticed me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no demand to sterilize the inside or disinfect of it. Clearly, you’ll require to wipe down the exterior every now and then as dirt picks it, however other than that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. Then the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage and it does not take up way too much space. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will certainly aid it last longer. If you do not have any type of covered room to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a great deal of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of three) however I guarantee you, it’s really not. You just attach the gas as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty was about. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience because I assume that making as well as preparing food really can be an experience.
My total ideas on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more job. I was anticipating the configuration to be a hassle, the real preparing and prepping to be a little bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning process involved. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a actually simple, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating the oven, and also cooking the pizzas is quite easy. And clean-up is basically non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t surging, it’s additionally very light-weight and portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outside space, a little storage room to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare dinner, after that yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that tasty, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and also after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.