Exterior pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent as well as it’s not hard to see why! They provide a simple and also quick way to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a classic grill however incredibly functional considering that they can reach such a heat and cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as finally got ours simply a few months ago. I understand you’ve been curious about whether I assume it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m right here to share my thoughts, methods, as well as suggestions – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all viewpoints and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, exterior pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to pick from, which suggests there’s likely one that will certainly fit your requirements as well as budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also requirements you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the ease of being able to use gas and additionally wanted a bigger size to ensure that we had the choice to prepare bigger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an financial investment. However, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really spark some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening extra amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, top quality food preparation device that is going to last for several years as long as you look after it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or even more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically totally assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound propane container. I’m not sure why, but right here on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a propane storage tank, and also after that when we found one we had to discover a area to get it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might believe! Reduced the warmth, toss your pizza in, as well as let it prepare for a couple minutes.
The good component is that the oven just has fires on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome spot which provides you much more control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to move the pizza around and also a great distance between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well rapidly.
Ooni’s specialty is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warmth to low and also cooking it awhile much longer at a reduced temp might be much easier. With that said, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warmth to reduced and also add a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or two for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will say I was a little bit nervous regarding the learning curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little difficult to get the heat ideal and also keep it relocating. However, I was pleasantly surprised to locate that after simply a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I simply wasn’t rather ready to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough cooking procedure. Using the pizza oven is very simple and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Lightly powder the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently powder the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to put together the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re going to wind up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can handle a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I normally separate a one extra pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not overwork the dough. The key to getting that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I truly lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional. He suggests utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that extremely thin between. This will certainly offer you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for. If the crust is too thick in the middle it will not prepare completely via.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. One more method to ensure that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I ‘d advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a normal oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the more toppings you have, the trickier it is. Maintain it top and also straightforward lightly. This is not the time to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Do not get sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full attention on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s crucial to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to flawlessly burned immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was confident yet skeptical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You obtain those completely charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the within as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to continue to explain just how delicious the pizza is, yet let me simply state, you will be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you might in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we use dough from the food store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the turning peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a bit more cumbersome.
- Big Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and also back forth regarding. I had not been sure if we should acquire it or simply attempt to locate something else comparable online. For $250 you are really obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and quite affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve listened to that it’s very handy in knowing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but sometimes they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One point that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sterilize the inside or decontaminate of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside every so often as dirt chooses it, however aside from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any covered room to keep it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a whole lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family members of three) yet I guarantee you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it supplies. Since I think that cooking as well as making food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall thoughts on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a lot even more job. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really simple, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite easy.
It’s also extremely light-weight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a bit of storage area to keep it completely dry, as well as take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also determine which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.