Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a fast and easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill however very flexible considering that they can reach such a high temperature as well as cook all type of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven permanently as well as lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m here to share my methods, tips, and also ideas – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and thoughts are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which means there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your demands as well as spending plan. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size as well as specifications you choose.
We went with the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of being able to utilize gas and additionally desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the choice to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor location may really trigger some happiness for you as well as make pizza night extra amazing!
This is a reliable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically completely put together out of the box. All you need to do is unravel the legs as well as put the pizza rock in it!
You will require to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound lp storage tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that propane storage tank as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, yet here on the West coast, we had a heck of a time finding a gas storage tank, and after that as soon as we located one we needed to discover a location to get it filled. The good news is, our neighborhood equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip far, yet I called a TON of locations before I might also find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you might think! It was most definitely simpler than I expected it to be. You just transform it up to high and also allow it heat up for 20 mins when you link the lp tank. Then lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and allow it cook for a pair minutes. My partner and I were both pleasantly shocked at just how simple the Ooni is to utilize and just how fun it is to watch the pizza cook!
The nice part is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front appropriate side is the great area which provides you extra control over just how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you plenty of room to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to reduced and also cooking it awhile longer at a reduced temperature may be simpler. Keeping that claimed, our chosen cooking method is to:
- Warmth the oven above for regarding 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to low as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for about 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit worried concerning the understanding curve of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to get the warmth perfect and maintain it relocating. However, I was happily amazed to discover that after just a pair pizzas you really begin to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we kept our Ooni in the box for a few weeks due to the fact that I just had not been rather prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a difficult food preparation process. Making use of the pizza oven is extremely simple and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour functions best, yet we use all-purpose with no problems.
- Don’t roll the crust out too big unless you’re really comfortable with the process of moving it. You’ll have to set up the pizza, then relocate to the pizza peel, and then scoot it off the peel and also right into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the most likely it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. Although the 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I generally separate a one pound ball of dough in two, and after that turn out two pizzas from that.
- Do not strain the dough. The trick to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just possible. I truly prevailed because my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. He recommends utilizing your fingers to gently develop the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth in between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge enough. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards extremely thin in the middle. This will give you that trademark wood terminated pizza oven appearance you’re looking for. If the crust is also thick in the middle it won’t cook right via.
- Do not add as well lots of toppings to your pizza. An additional way to make sure that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it very minimally. I would certainly recommend including fifty percent of what you ‘d typically add to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your complete focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to perfectly burned in a matter of seconds.
Click on this link to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will confess, I was hesitant however hopeful that the taste would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and also incredibly crisp on the outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can try to continue to explain exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply say, you will be impressed at the difference in between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we utilize dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really scrumptious dough that’s inexpensive as well as cooks actually well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly suggest the pizza transforming wheel to help you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I had not been sure if we need to purchase it or just attempt to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mainly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very charming and rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp as well as is ready to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are pretty comparable, yet often they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best offer.
One thing that truly lured me regarding the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s really no requirement to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dust settles on it, however aside from that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any kind of protected space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could seem like a lot of work to get the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we generally do as a family of 3) but I ensure you, it’s truly not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. You simply connect the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight and we have not cooked a pizza in our oven considering that we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the price for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I believe that preparing as well as making food actually can be an experience.
My total thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating every little thing to be a lot more job. I was expecting the configuration to be a trouble, the actual prepping and preparing to be a bit taxing, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure entailed. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly basic, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. The setup is quick. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is rather easy. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
It’s additionally really light-weight and also mobile so I can totally see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor space, a bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare supper, after that indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.