Outside pizza ovens are becoming rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They use a very easy and also quick means to get that wood-fired pizza taste right in your very own yard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill but super functional since they can reach such a heat as well as prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a couple of months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the hype or not so I’m here to share my tricks, thoughts, and also ideas – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As always, all ideas and point of views are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 levels in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several designs to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the size and also requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda due to the fact that we liked the ease of being able to use gas as well as additionally wanted a larger size so that we had the option to cook larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an financial investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may truly stimulate some happiness for you and also make pizza night much more interesting!
Additionally, this is a reliable, top quality cooking device that is going to last for many years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my point of view – if you’re mosting likely to utilize it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wood pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually entirely assembled out of the box. All you have to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to acquire a 1 extra pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank. Locating that gas tank as well as having it filled may have been the hardest part of the whole assembly for us! I’m unsure why, however below on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time locating a gas tank, and after that as soon as we discovered one we had to locate a location to get it filled. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, and also the gasoline station down the street can load them so we really did not need to travel much, yet I called a TON of places prior to I could even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you might assume! Reduced the warm, throw your pizza in, and let it cook for a pair mins.
The good component is that the oven just has flames on the back and left side, so the front ideal side is the awesome spot which provides you more control over exactly how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you a lot of area to move the pizza around as well as additionally a good range between the pizza as well as the fire itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. However, for newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that stated turning the warm to reduced and cooking it for a bit longer at a lower temperature could be much easier. With that stated, our chosen food preparation approach is to:
- Heat the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the warm to low as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or so for concerning 2-3 mins depending on the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious about the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little tricky to get the warmth just right and also maintain it relocating. Nonetheless, I was happily amazed to find that after just a couple pizzas you really begin to master it!
Honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks due to the fact that I simply had not been quite all set to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard food preparation procedure. Utilizing the pizza oven is very simple and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And also lightly flour the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel and also into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the less complicated it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I really lucked out because my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a professional. He advises utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and then very thin in the middle. This will offer you that signature wood terminated pizza oven structure you’re searching for. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not cook right through.
- Don’t include too many garnishes to your pizza. Another way to guarantee that your pizza cooks via, is to cover it really minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d normally include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to cook in a routine oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little difficult, and also the more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So keep it top as well as simple lightly. This is not the moment to make your signature additional additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete interest on that pizza. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 degrees, it’s important to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to completely shed immediately.
Visit this site to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant yet confident that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost similar to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred littles around, the crust is tender on the within and very crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in just minutes.
I can attempt to remain to describe exactly how tasty the pizza is, however let me simply state, you will certainly be amazed at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Overhead shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not purchased the transforming peel yet however I ‘d extremely suggest the pizza transforming wheel to aid you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a little bit much more troublesome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth about. I wasn’t certain if we should buy it or just search for another thing similar online. Let me save you some time and also power. There is nothing out there that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the absolute excellent size, includes a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it backward and forward. It also has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your money’s well worth. It was also rather simple to put together – or at the very least I didn’t hear my companion vow too much while he was placing it with each other and also I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 year old ” aiding” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these charming little pizza peels off as well. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also rather affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet gotten an infrared thermostat yet I’ve heard that it’s super practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually stood up to temp and prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can discover the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can get the most effective bargain.
One point that actually tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so warm that there’s truly no need to sterilize the inside or sanitize of it. Clearly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside once in a while as dirt decides on it, yet apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any type of covered space to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may appear like a lot of job to obtain the Ooni all established up just to make 2 pizzas (which is what we normally do as a household of 3) however I ensure you, it’s really not. You just link the propane as well as allow it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it provides. I do state experience since I believe that making and preparing food truly can be an experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating whatever to be a lot more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is really a truly easy, uncomplicated, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally really lightweight and also portable so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a little bit of storage room to keep it completely dry, as well as enjoy having a drink outside while you cook supper, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that scrumptious, crunchy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.