Outdoor pizza ovens are becoming rather preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They supply a very easy and fast way to obtain that wood-fired pizza taste right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but very versatile considering that they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all sort of foods.
We ‘d been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and also finally got ours just a few months back. I know you’ve been curious about whether I think it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my ideas, pointers, and also methods – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all point of views as well as ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, exterior pizza oven. It warms up to about 950 levels in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has numerous versions to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your demands as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or utilize both timber as well as gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and also specs you choose.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we suched as the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as likewise desired a larger dimension so that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Nevertheless, adding a pizza oven to your exterior location may really stimulate some delight for you as well as make pizza night much more exciting!
This is a well-crafted, high quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at least a pair times a month or more – it’s completely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost totally constructed out of package. All you need to do is unravel the legs and also put the pizza rock in it!
If you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound propane container. I’m not certain why, however here on the West coastline, we had a heck of a time locating a propane storage tank, as well as after that as soon as we located one we had to discover a location to obtain it filled up.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is much easier than you may believe! It was definitely easier than I anticipated it to be. As soon as you link the lp tank, you simply transform it approximately high as well as let it heat up for 20 mins. Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair minutes. My partner as well as I were both pleasantly surprised at just how easy the Ooni is to use as well as how fun it is to view the pizza chef!
The good part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the great spot which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as also a excellent range in between the pizza and the flame itself in case it starts to cook also promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it totally can. For beginner pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to low and cooking it for a little bit much longer at a reduced temp could be much easier. With that said said, our liked cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the heat to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs approximately for regarding 2-3 minutes depending upon the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will claim I was a little bit nervous concerning the learning contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warm just right and also maintain it relocating. I was pleasantly shocked to locate that after just a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. However truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in package for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been fairly prepared to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation process. I can NOT have been extra wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is incredibly easy and also I wish we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Gently flour the work surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel.
- Do not roll the crust out also big unless you’re extremely comfy with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to assemble the pizza, after that relocate to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as right into the oven. The smaller sized your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically separate a one extra pound ball of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The key to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I really lucked out because my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert. This will certainly give you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven texture you’re looking for.
- Don’t include also numerous toppings to your pizza. One more way to guarantee that your pizza chefs through, is to cover it extremely minimally. I ‘d suggest including fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include to a pizza you’re going to cook in a regular oven.
- Don’t get distracted. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s vital to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from completely done, to completely melted in a matter of seconds.
Click here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident however skeptical that the flavor would certainly be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually the same to wood-fired pizza even though it only uses gas. You get those completely charred littles around, the crust hurts on the inside and very crisp on the outside, and also celebrity obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I could try to remain to explain how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me simply claim, you will certainly be surprised at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a truly tasty dough that’s inexpensive and also cooks actually well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade however.
Overhead shot of a tomato and also goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We love the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d extremely recommend the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it yet it’s a little bit a lot more troublesome.
- Large Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t certain if we must acquire it or simply try to locate something else similar online. For $250 you are truly obtaining your cash’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off too. Mostly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re incredibly charming and also rather cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermostat but I’ve heard that it’s incredibly helpful in knowing if the pizza oven has actually risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, however occasionally they have sales, so examine around to see where you can obtain the very best deal.
One point that truly attracted me regarding the Ooni was that you do not have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no requirement to sterilize the within or decontaminate of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dirt chooses it, yet apart from that no cleaning is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you don’t have any protected space to keep it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It may seem like a whole lot of work to get the Ooni all established up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) however I assure you, it’s actually not. You simply attach the lp as well as allow it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the difficulty had to do with. The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. Since I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do claim experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot more work. Generally, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is in fact a really straightforward, straightforward, exterior pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating up the oven, and preparing the pizzas is quite simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally really light-weight and also mobile so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a small outdoor room, a little bit of storage room to maintain it completely dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you cook supper, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to check out the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full interest on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these adorable little pizza peels. Primarily simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.