Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be fairly preferred and it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast as well as very easy means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own backyard. They’re as practical as a timeless grill yet incredibly flexible because they can get to such a heat and prepare all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life and also lastly obtained ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered concerning whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my suggestions, tricks, and also thoughts – AND whether I assume the Ooni is worth the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all point of views and ideas are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outdoor pizza oven. It warms up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes as well as can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which suggests there’s most likely one that will fit your needs as well as budget plan. They offer 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or utilize both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension as well as requirements you pick.
We chose the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to utilize gas as well as likewise wanted a larger dimension to ensure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base version, the Ooni pizza oven is definitely an investment. However, including a pizza oven to your exterior area might truly trigger some joy for you and also make pizza night extra interesting!
Also, this is a durable, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for several years as long as you care for it. So while it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally put together out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs and also placed the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly require to buy a 1 extra pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas container and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however right here on the West shore, we had a heck of a time discovering a lp tank, and then once we found one we needed to find a place to get it filled up. Luckily, our local equipment store had one left, and the gasoline station down the street can load them so we didn’t need to take a trip much, yet I called a TON of areas prior to I might also locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might think! Lower the heat, throw your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a pair minutes.
The good part is that the oven just has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the cool place which provides you more control over how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda gives you plenty of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the flame as well as the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it totally can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube video clips that said transforming the warm to cooking and also reduced it for a bit longer at a reduced temp might be simpler. Keeping that stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven on high for about 15-20 mins.
- Decrease the heat to reduced and include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 secs or two for regarding 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza going into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly claim I was a little bit anxious concerning the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little challenging to get the heat ideal and maintain it relocating. I was happily stunned to discover that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks because I simply wasn’t rather prepared to tackle what I thought was going to be a hard cooking process. Using the pizza oven is very easy and I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
- Gently powder the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently flour the pizza peel also. This will make it less complicated to move the pizza to the pizza peel and also transfer it to into the oven. I’ve heard semolina flour works best, yet we make use of all-purpose without any problems.
- Do not roll the crust out as well huge unless you’re extremely comfortable with the procedure of moving it. You’ll need to set up the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can manage a 16″ pie, we still keep them around 10″ -12″. I typically split a one pound sphere of dough in 2, and afterwards roll out 2 pizzas from that.
- The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as feasible. I truly lucked out due to the fact that my partner used to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a specialist. This will certainly offer you that signature timber discharged pizza oven structure you’re looking for.
- Don’t include a lot of garnishes to your pizza. Another method to make certain that your pizza cooks with, is to cover it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend including half of what you ‘d normally add to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I discussed, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and also the more garnishes you have, the more difficult it is. So maintain it top and straightforward gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra added cheese pizza!
- Don’t get distracted. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s vital to maintain a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed immediately.
Go here to check out the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly confess, I was confident but hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The taste is almost similar to wood-fired pizza despite the fact that it only utilizes gas. You get those completely charred littles all over, the crust is tender on the inside and also very crisp outside, and also celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to continue to describe exactly how scrumptious the pizza is, yet let me simply claim, you will be astonished at the difference between the pizza you may in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s affordable and also cooks really well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy deal with makes it very easy to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not acquired the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit a lot more difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went as well as back forth regarding. I wasn’t sure if we must buy it or just try to find something else comparable online. But let me save you a long time and also power. There is nothing available that is comparable to this table for less costly. It’s the outright ideal dimension, features a shelf, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was likewise quite simple to create – or at the very least I really did not hear my partner vouch excessive while he was placing it together and I believe it was performed in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age “helping” him.
- Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these adorable little pizza peels off. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and afterwards something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute and also pretty cost effective.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s extremely practical in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but often they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the best offer.
Something that actually lured me about the Ooni was that you do not need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s really no need to decontaminate or sanitize the within of it. Clearly, you’ll require to clean down the exterior every now and then as dust settles on it, but apart from that no cleansing is required!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any kind of covered area to save it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a lot of job to get the Ooni all set up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we generally do as a household of 3) however I guarantee you, it’s actually not. The Ooni modular table we got makes it very easy to wheel in and out of the garage. Then you simply link the gas and let it warmth while you make the pizzas. It’s completely doable on a weeknight and we haven’t cooked a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the cost for the experience that it supplies. I do state experience since I believe that making and also preparing food really can be an experience.
My overall thoughts on that particular Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a lot even more work. I was expecting the configuration to be a inconvenience, the actual prepping and preparing to be a bit taxing, as well as I had not been certain what the cleansing process involved. Generally, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a actually easy, straightforward, outdoor pizza oven experience. The arrangement is quick. Prepping, heating up the oven, and cooking the pizzas is rather very easy. And also clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s additionally really lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t surging!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor area, a bit of storage space to keep it completely dry, and also take pleasure in having a beverage outside while you cook dinner, then yes – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re all set to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven as well as decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that tasty, crispy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.