Outside pizza ovens are coming to be fairly prominent and also it’s not hard to see why! They use a easy and also fast method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as practical as a classic grill however super flexible because they can get to such a high temperature as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as lastly obtained ours just a couple of months back. I recognize you’ve wondered regarding whether I believe it’s worth the hype or otherwise so I’m below to share my techniques, pointers, and thoughts – AND whether I believe the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As constantly, all opinions and also ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outside pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 minutes and also can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crunchy crust of a traditional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has several models to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will certainly fit your needs and also spending plan. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or use both wood and also gas. They range in price from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and also requirements you pick.
We opted for the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of having the ability to utilize gas as well as additionally desired a bigger size to ensure that we had the alternative to cook larger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is absolutely an investment. Nevertheless, including a pizza oven to your exterior area may really stimulate some pleasure for you and also make pizza evening much more interesting!
This is a durable, quality food preparation device that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to use it at the very least a couple times a month or even more – it’s absolutely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes virtually totally set up out of the box. All you need to do is unfold the legs as well as put the pizza stone in it!
You will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas storage tank if you’re obtaining a gas-powered Ooni. Finding that gas tank as well as having it filled could have been the hardest part of the whole setting up for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time locating a gas storage tank, and then once we discovered one we needed to find a location to get it loaded. Luckily, our regional equipment shop had one left, as well as the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to travel far, but I called a TON of places before I could even find one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Utilizing the Ooni pizza oven is easier than you might believe! Reduced the warm, toss your pizza in, and allow it prepare for a couple mins.
The wonderful part is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front best side is the awesome spot which offers you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of space to move the pizza around as well as likewise a good range in between the pizza and also the flame itself in case it starts to prepare too quickly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s specialty is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we found a pair YouTube videos that stated transforming the warmth to cooking and low it awhile longer at a reduced temperature may be easier. Keeping that said, our chosen cooking technique is to:
- Warm the oven above for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Decrease the warm to reduced as well as add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 mins depending on the size of the pie and also the quantity of toppings
Goat cheese as well as tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit worried concerning the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I assumed it was going to be a little tricky to get the heat perfect and maintain it relocating. I was happily surprised to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
I assume we obtain a little far better each time as we best the dough shaping and covering. Yet honestly, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks because I simply had not been rather all set to tackle what I thought was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking process. I might NOT have actually been a lot more wrong. Utilizing the pizza oven is very very easy and also I want we would have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
- Lightly powder the job surface where you’re making the pizza. And lightly flour the pizza peel also. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel and move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, however we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- Do not roll the crust out too large unless you’re very comfortable with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that move it to the pizza peel, and then run it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the easier it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more probable it is you’re mosting likely to end up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I generally split a one pound sphere of dough in two, and afterwards turn out 2 pizzas from that.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to obtaining that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Because my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s generally a professional, I really lucked out. He advises using your fingers to gently produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Slapping it back and also forth in between your hands/forearms until it obtains large sufficient. Preferably, you desire the dough to be thicker on the edges, and afterwards really thin between. This will give you that signature timber fired pizza oven appearance you’re seeking. , if the crust is also thick in the center it will not prepare all the way with.
- Don’t add a lot of toppings to your pizza. Another way to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d normally contribute to a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the even more garnishes you have, the harder it is. So maintain it easy as well as leading gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark additional extra cheese pizza!
- Do not obtain sidetracked. When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your full focus on that pizza. With the within the oven reaching temperatures over 900 degrees, it’s crucial to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly melted immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was enthusiastic but cynical that the flavor would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is almost the same to wood-fired pizza even though it just utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust hurts on the inside as well as incredibly crisp outside, and the cheese gets ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I might try to continue to describe how delicious the pizza is, however let me simply say, you will be astonished at the distinction between the pizza you may in your Ooni and the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s inexpensive and cooks truly well in the Ooni. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The lengthy manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not acquired the transforming peel yet however I ‘d highly advise the pizza transforming wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently just make use of the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit extra difficult.
- Huge Modular Table – The huge modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we ought to buy it or simply try to find another thing comparable online. Let me conserve you some time and power. There is nothing around that is comparable to this table for cheaper. It’s the outright ideal dimension, comes with a rack, hanging dowels as well as it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it back and forth. It likewise has brakes. For $250 you are truly getting your cash’s well worth. It was additionally quite straightforward to assemble – or at the very least I didn’t hear my partner vouch excessive while he was placing it with each other as well as I think it was done in less than an hour, even with a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re super cute as well as pretty inexpensive.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermostat but I’ve listened to that it’s very helpful in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and also prepares to cook!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The costs are rather comparable, but in some cases they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One point that truly attracted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so hot that there’s truly no demand to sanitize or sterilize the inside of it. Certainly, you’ll require to clean down the outside every so often as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the edge of our garage and also it doesn’t use up too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rain will certainly assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any type of protected area to save it though.
A small pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all set up just to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family of three) however I ensure you, it’s truly not. You just connect the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience since I believe that cooking and making food really can be an experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting every little thing to be a great deal even more job. In general, I am absolutely elated to find that the Ooni is actually a truly easy, uncomplicated, outdoor pizza oven experience. Prepping, warming the oven, as well as preparing the pizzas is quite very easy.
It’s likewise extremely lightweight and also portable so I can totally see us taking this outdoor camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outdoor area, a little storage area to maintain it dry, and also appreciate having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to look into the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.