Outside pizza ovens are coming to be quite preferred as well as it’s not hard to see why! They use a fast and easy method to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your own yard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill however incredibly versatile given that they can get to such a heat and also prepare all sort of foods.
We ‘d been wanting an Ooni pizza oven for life as well as finally got ours just a few months ago. I understand you’ve wondered regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m right here to share my suggestions, thoughts, as well as tricks – AND whether I think the Ooni deserves the financial investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a metal table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni talented me this pizza oven. As always, all opinions and ideas are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a portable, outdoor pizza oven. It heats up to concerning 950 degrees in 20 mins and can prepare your pizza in 60 secs. It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which suggests there’s likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget. They provide 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both timber and gas. They vary in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the dimension and also requirements you select.
We opted for the 16″ Koda because we liked the ease of being able to make use of gas and also wanted a larger size to make sure that we had the choice to prepare larger pizzas or various other points like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an investment. Nonetheless, adding a pizza oven to your outside location might actually spark some happiness for you and make pizza night extra amazing!
Additionally, this is a well-crafted, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for many years as long as you care for it. While it is a little bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a couple times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes practically entirely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will need to acquire a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas container. I’m not sure why, but here on the West coast, we had a hell of a time finding a gas container, and also then once we located one we had to find a area to get it loaded.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you may assume! Lower the warmth, toss your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a couple minutes.
The nice component is that the oven only has flames on the back and also left side, so the front right side is the great spot which gives you extra control over just how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda offers you lots of room to relocate the pizza around as well as additionally a excellent range in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it starts to cook too swiftly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. Nevertheless, for newbie pizza cooks like ourselves, we located a pair YouTube video clips that said turning the heat to low as well as cooking it awhile much longer at a lower temperature might be much easier. With that claimed, our liked food preparation approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for concerning 15-20 mins.
- Minimize the heat to reduced as well as include a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, rotating it every 20-30 seconds or so for concerning 2-3 minutes depending upon the dimension of the pie as well as the amount of toppings
Goat cheese and also tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will state I was a bit nervous about the discovering contour of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little difficult to obtain the warmth perfect and keep it relocating. I was happily shocked to find that after simply a couple pizzas you actually start to get the hang of it!
Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a few weeks since I simply had not been fairly all set to tackle what I believed was going to be a tough food preparation procedure. Using the pizza oven is super simple as well as I desire we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we obtained it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the job surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel.
- Don’t roll the crust out also large unless you’re very comfy with the procedure of relocate. You’ll have to assemble the pizza, then move it to the pizza peel, and after that scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the more likely it is you’re mosting likely to wind up with a mangled mess. The 16″ Koda can deal with a 16″ pie, we still maintain them around 10″ -12″. I commonly divide a one pound round of dough in two, and then present 2 pizzas from that.
- Do not exhaust the dough. The key to obtaining that trademark pizza crust is touching the dough as low as possible. Due to the fact that my companion made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s basically a expert, I truly lucked out. He advises utilizing your fingers to gently create the crust while relocating the dough in a circle. Then slapping it to and fro in between your hands/forearms up until it obtains large enough. Ideally, you desire the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards very thin between. This will certainly provide you that trademark wood discharged pizza oven structure you’re seeking. , if the crust is too thick in the middle it won’t cook all the method through.
- Don’t add way too many toppings to your pizza. One more means to make certain that your pizza cooks through, is to top it extremely minimally. I would certainly recommend adding half of what you ‘d generally include in a pizza you’re going to bake in a regular oven. Like I stated, the transfer of the pizza is a little challenging, and also the more toppings you have, the harder it is. So maintain it leading and basic gently. This is not the moment to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t get sidetracked. You desire your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie because it can go from completely done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click here to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will certainly admit, I was skeptical but confident that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And holy cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly the same to wood-fired pizza although it only utilizes gas. You get those perfectly charred littles throughout, the crust is tender on the inside as well as super crisp outside, and celebrity gets ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I might try to remain to define just how scrumptious the pizza is, but let me just claim, you will certainly be astonished at the difference in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They simply do not compare.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the grocery store 9 breaks of 10. They have a actually tasty dough that’s inexpensive as well as chefs really well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We enjoy the 16″ pizza peel! The long manage makes it simple to place the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d very recommend the pizza turning wheel to aid you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We presently simply utilize the pizza peel to do it however it’s a little bit more difficult.
- Big Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went as well as back forth concerning. I had not been sure if we must get it or simply try to discover something else comparable online. For $250 you are really getting your cash’s well worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels off. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely adorable and also pretty affordable.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet gotten an infrared thermometer but I’ve listened to that it’s super handy in understanding if the pizza oven has stood up to temp and is ready to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their website, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The prices are rather comparable, but occasionally they have sales, so check around to see where you can obtain the most effective deal.
One thing that truly tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t have to cleanse it! The temperature inside the oven gets so hot that there’s actually no requirement to sanitize or disinfect the inside of it. Clearly, you’ll need to clean down the exterior every so often as dust settles on it, however other than that no cleaning is called for!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. If you do not have any protected area to store it however, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
HELPFUL FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might seem like a whole lot of work to obtain the Ooni all established up simply to make 2 pizzas (which is what we usually do as a family of three) yet I ensure you, it’s actually not. You simply link the gas and also let it warmth while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
The Ooni is worth the rate for the experience that it provides. I do claim experience due to the fact that I think that cooking and making food truly can be an experience.
My total ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a great deal even more work. Overall, I am absolutely elated to discover that the Ooni is really a really straightforward, simple, outside pizza oven experience. Prepping, heating the oven, and also preparing the pizzas is rather simple.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s also very light-weight and portable so I can entirely see us taking this outdoor camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a little outside area, a bit of storage space to maintain it completely dry, and appreciate having a drink outside while you cook dinner, then indeed – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to look into the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza rock inside that gives you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you desire your complete interest on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade however, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wood Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mostly simply for ease of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.