Outside pizza ovens are becoming fairly preferred as well as it’s not difficult to see why! They use a easy as well as quick means to obtain that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as practical as a classic grill but incredibly functional given that they can reach such a heat as well as cook all kinds of foods.
We had actually been wanting an Ooni pizza oven forever and lastly got ours just a couple of months ago. I know you’ve wondered about whether I believe it’s worth the buzz or not so I’m right here to share my thoughts, techniques, and also pointers – AND whether I assume the Ooni deserves the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Complete disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all thoughts as well as opinions are my very own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It warms up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 minutes and can prepare your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that offers you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of models to choose from, which indicates there’s likely one that will fit your requirements as well as budget plan. They supply 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either wood pellet or gas-powered or use both timber and also gas. They range in cost from $299-$ 799 relying on the size and requirements you choose.
We selected the 16″ Koda since we liked the convenience of having the ability to use gas and additionally desired a bigger size to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare bigger pizzas or various other things like fish, steak, and so on.
At $299 for their base model, the Ooni pizza oven is certainly an investment. Including a pizza oven to your exterior location might truly trigger some pleasure for you and make pizza night extra interesting!
This is a well-made, high quality food preparation home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take care of it. While it is a bit spendy, in my viewpoint – if you’re going to utilize it at the very least a pair times a month or more – it’s entirely worth it!
Overhead shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes almost completely put together out of package. All you need to do is unfold the legs and put the pizza rock in it!
You will certainly need to buy a 1 pound or a 20 extra pound gas tank if you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni. Tracking down that propane tank and having it filled could have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, however right here on the West coastline, we had a hell of a time finding a lp container, and afterwards as soon as we found one we had to find a area to get it filled. Thankfully, our neighborhood equipment shop had one left, and also the gas station down the street can load them so we didn’t have to take a trip much, but I called a TON of places prior to I might even locate one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Using the Ooni pizza oven is less complicated than you could think! Reduced the heat, toss your pizza in, and let it prepare for a pair mins.
The nice part is that the oven only has flames on the back as well as left side, so the front best side is the great spot which provides you a lot more control over how the pizza is cooking. The 16″ Koda gives you lots of area to move the pizza around and additionally a good distance in between the flame and the pizza itself in case it begins to cook as well rapidly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can prepare a pizza in 60 secs – which it entirely can. For newbie pizza chefs like ourselves, we located a couple YouTube video clips that claimed transforming the warm to reduced and cooking it for a bit much longer at a lower temp may be easier. With that said stated, our liked food preparation technique is to:
- Warmth the oven over for concerning 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warmth to low and also include a pizza to the oven.
- Cook the pizza, turning it every 20-30 secs or so for regarding 2-3 mins relying on the dimension of the pie and also the quantity of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a bit nervous about the discovering contour of food preparation with the Ooni. I believed it was going to be a little complicated to obtain the heat just right and keep it moving. I was pleasantly stunned to locate that after simply a couple pizzas you truly start to obtain the hang of it!
I assume we get a little far better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and covering. Truthfully, we maintained our Ooni in the box for a couple of weeks since I just wasn’t quite prepared to tackle what I assumed was going to be a hard cooking process. I can NOT have been much more incorrect. Utilizing the pizza oven is super easy as well as I want we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. And gently powder the pizza peel.
- You’ll have to construct the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, as well as then scoot it off the peel as well as into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the much easier it is to do. The bigger the pizza, the much more most likely it is you’re going to finish up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The secret to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough as little as possible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my partner made use of to make pizzas for a living so he’s primarily a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to carefully produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. Then slapping it backward and forward in between your hands/forearms till it obtains huge sufficient. Ideally, you want the dough to be thicker on the edges, and after that very thin in the middle. This will offer you that trademark timber terminated pizza oven appearance you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick in the center it won’t cook right through.
- Do not add a lot of garnishes to your pizza. One more way to ensure that your pizza chefs via, is to top it very minimally. I would certainly advise adding fifty percent of what you ‘d usually include in a pizza you’re mosting likely to bake in a normal oven. Like I mentioned, the transfer of the pizza is a little complicated, and the even more garnishes you have, the trickier it is. Keep it simple as well as leading lightly. This is not the time to make your trademark extra additional cheese pizza!
- Don’t obtain distracted. You want your full focus on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven reaching temps over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie since it can go from flawlessly done, to flawlessly shed in a matter of seconds.
Visit this site to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was hesitant but hopeful that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. And also holy cow – I was blown away!
The flavor is virtually similar to wood-fired pizza although it only makes use of gas. You obtain those flawlessly charred little bits all over, the crust hurts on the inside and incredibly crisp outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply mins.
I can try to remain to describe just how tasty the pizza is, however let me just state, you will be impressed at the distinction in between the pizza you may in your Ooni and also the pizza you make in your oven. They just do not contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Honestly, we make use of dough from the supermarket 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical and also chefs really well in the Ooni. We either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the state of mind for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato and goat cheese pizza on a wooden pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not bought the transforming peel yet but I ‘d highly advise the pizza turning wheel to assist you turn the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently simply make use of the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit much more cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The big modular table is something I went and back forth concerning. If we need to acquire it or just try to find something else similar online, I had not been sure. Yet let me save you some time and also power. There is absolutely nothing around that is comparable to this table for less expensive. It’s the absolute ideal dimension, includes a rack, hanging dowels and it’s on the wheels so you can easily move it to and fro. It also has brakes. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth. It was likewise rather basic to put together – or at the very least I really did not hear my companion promise excessive while he was putting it together as well as I believe it was done in less than an hour, despite having a 5 years of age ” assisting” him.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels as well. Mostly just for convenience of having something to make the pizza on and then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re very cute and also quite economical.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have not yet obtained an infrared thermometer yet I’ve heard that it’s very helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has risen to temp as well as prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can find the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are quite similar, but occasionally they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can obtain the most effective bargain.
One thing that really tempted me concerning the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature level inside the oven gets so warm that there’s actually no requirement to disinfect the inside or decontaminate of it. Undoubtedly, you’ll need to wipe down the outside periodically as dirt settles on it, but apart from that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. After that the modular table that we put it on is 30 x 30 inches. We maintain it in the corner of our garage as well as it does not take up way too much area. Maintaining it out of the snow as well as rainfall will aid it last much longer. If you do not have any kind of protected room to store it though, Ooni does make a weatherproof cover.
A little pizza cooking inside an Ooni pizza oven outside
GOOD FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It could appear like a great deal of job to obtain the Ooni all set up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we normally do as a family members of 3) however I assure you, it’s actually not. You just attach the gas as well as let it warm while you make the pizzas.
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the fuss had to do with. The Ooni deserves the price for the experience that it provides. Due to the fact that I believe that making and also cooking food actually can be an experience, I do say experience.
My general ideas on that Ooni are that I was expecting everything to be a whole lot even more job. I was anticipating the arrangement to be a trouble, the actual prepping and cooking to be a bit time-consuming, and I had not been sure what the cleaning process involved. On the whole, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is actually a truly straightforward, uncomplicated, outside pizza oven experience. The arrangement fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, as well as cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And clean-up is essentially non-existent.
When the wildfires aren’t raving, it’s additionally extremely lightweight and mobile so I can absolutely see us taking this camping with us!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny exterior area, a little bit of storage area to maintain it completely dry, and also enjoy having a drink outside while you prepare supper, then of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re ready to take a look at the Ooni pizza oven and also choose which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that provides you that delicious, crispy crust of a conventional wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your complete attention on that pizza. If I’m in the mood for homemade though, we either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We obtained these cute little pizza peels off. Primarily simply for convenience of having something to make the pizza on as well as after that something to slice the pizza on after it’s baked.