Outdoor pizza ovens are coming to be rather prominent and also it’s not difficult to see why! They provide a simple and quick means to get that wood-fired pizza flavor right in your very own backyard. They’re as hassle-free as a traditional grill yet very versatile since they can reach such a heat and prepare all sort of foods.
We had actually been desiring an Ooni pizza oven for life and ultimately obtained ours simply a few months back. I recognize you’ve been curious regarding whether I assume it’s worth the buzz or otherwise so I’m here to share my thoughts, methods, as well as suggestions – AND whether I believe the Ooni is worth the investment!
Ooni pizza oven on a steel table outside on a deck
Full disclosure – Ooni gifted me this pizza oven. As constantly, all ideas and also opinions are my own.
THE OONI PIZZA OVEN
The Ooni is a mobile, outside pizza oven. It heats up to regarding 950 degrees in 20 mins and can cook your pizza in 60 seconds. It has a pizza rock inside that provides you that scrumptious, crispy crust of a standard wood-fired pizza oven.
Ooni has a number of versions to pick from, which implies there’s most likely one that will fit your needs and also budget. They use 12″ or 16″ ovens that are either timber pellet or gas-powered or make use of both wood as well as gas. They vary in price from $299-$ 799 depending upon the dimension and specs you select.
We chose the 16″ Koda since we liked the simplicity of being able to make use of gas and likewise wanted a larger dimension to make sure that we had the alternative to prepare larger pizzas or other things like fish, steak, etc.
At $299 for their base design, the Ooni pizza oven is most definitely an financial investment. Adding a pizza oven to your outdoor area may actually stimulate some happiness for you as well as make pizza night extra interesting!
This is a durable, quality cooking home appliance that is going to last for years as long as you take treatment of it. So while it is a bit spendy, in my opinion – if you’re mosting likely to use it a minimum of a pair times a month or more – it’s totally worth it!
Expenses shot of a pepperoni jalapeno pizza on a wooden pizza peel
The Ooni comes nearly completely assembled out of package. All you have to do is unravel the legs and placed the pizza stone in it!
If you’re getting a gas-powered Ooni, you will certainly need to purchase a 1 pound or a 20 pound gas tank. Tracking down that gas storage tank and also having it filled might have been the hardest part of the entire assembly for us! I’m not exactly sure why, but below on the West shore, we had a hell of a time finding a gas tank, and afterwards when we found one we had to locate a location to get it loaded. The good news is, our regional hardware shop had one left, and also the filling station down the street can fill them so we didn’t have to travel much, yet I called a TON of places before I might also discover one.
HOW TO USE THE OONI
Making use of the Ooni pizza oven is simpler than you could think! Reduced the warmth, throw your pizza in, and also allow it cook for a pair minutes.
The great part is that the oven just has fires on the back as well as left side, so the front appropriate side is the cool spot which gives you extra control over exactly how the pizza is food preparation. The 16″ Koda provides you lots of area to relocate the pizza around and also a good range between the fire and the pizza itself in case it begins to prepare as well promptly.
FOOD PREPARATION TIME
Ooni’s claim to fame is that it can cook a pizza in 60 seconds – which it absolutely can. For novice pizza chefs like ourselves, we found a couple YouTube videos that claimed turning the warm to reduced and also cooking it for a little bit longer at a lower temp might be less complicated. With that claimed, our liked cooking approach is to:
- Warm the oven over for about 15-20 minutes.
- Minimize the warm to reduced and add a pizza to the oven.
- Prepare the pizza, turning it every 20-30 seconds approximately for about 2-3 minutes depending on the size of the pie and also the amount of garnishes
Goat cheese and tomato pizza entering into an Ooni pizza oven
THE LEARNING CURVE
I will certainly state I was a little bit anxious about the learning curve of cooking with the Ooni. I thought it was going to be a little complicated to get the heat perfect as well as maintain it relocating. I was happily stunned to discover that after just a pair pizzas you actually begin to get the hang of it!
I believe we get a little much better each time as we ideal the dough shaping and topping. However truthfully, we kept our Ooni in package for a few weeks due to the fact that I simply wasn’t fairly ready to tackle what I assumed was mosting likely to be a difficult cooking procedure. I can NOT have actually been more incorrect. Using the pizza oven is extremely easy and also I wish we would certainly have opened our Ooni the day we got it!
FOOD PREPARATION TIPS
- Lightly flour the work surface area where you’re making the pizza. As well as gently flour the pizza peel too. This will certainly make it much easier to move the pizza to the pizza peel as well as move it to right into the oven. I’ve listened to semolina flour works best, yet we use all-purpose without any concerns.
- You’ll have to put together the pizza, after that relocate it to the pizza peel, and also then run it off the peel and into the oven. The smaller your pizza, the simpler it is to do. The larger the pizza, the a lot more most likely it is you’re going to end up with a mangled mess.
- Don’t exhaust the dough. The trick to getting that signature pizza crust is touching the dough just feasible. I actually prevailed due to the fact that my partner utilized to make pizzas for a living so he’s essentially a specialist. He recommends utilizing your fingers to delicately produce the crust while moving the dough in a circle. After that slapping it back and forth between your hands/forearms up until it obtains big enough. Preferably, you want the dough to be thicker on the brink, and afterwards really thin in the middle. This will certainly provide you that signature wood terminated pizza oven texture you’re trying to find. If the crust is as well thick in the middle it will not prepare completely with.
- Do not include also many toppings to your pizza. An additional means to guarantee that your pizza chefs with, is to cover it really minimally. I would certainly advise including half of what you ‘d normally include to a pizza you’re going to bake in a routine oven.
- Do not get distracted. You desire your complete attention on that pizza when you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni. With the inside of the oven getting to temperatures over 900 levels, it’s essential to keep a close eye on the pie due to the fact that it can go from flawlessly done, to perfectly shed immediately.
Click on this link to look into the Ooni Pizza Oven
I will admit, I was enthusiastic yet hesitant that the taste would be close to that of a wood-fired pizza oven. As well as divine cow – I was surprised!
The taste is nearly identical to wood-fired pizza although it only uses gas. You get those perfectly charred bits around, the crust is tender on the within as well as incredibly crisp on the outside, as well as the cheese obtains ooey-gooey melty in simply minutes.
I can try to remain to define exactly how delicious the pizza is, however let me just claim, you will be surprised at the distinction between the pizza you might in your Ooni as well as the pizza you make in your oven. They simply don’t contrast.
WHICH DOUGH TO USE
Truthfully, we use dough from the grocery store 9 times out of 10. They have a really tasty dough that’s economical as well as chefs actually well in the Ooni. We either utilize my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough if I’m in the mood for homemade though.
Expenses shot of a tomato as well as goat cheese pizza on a wood pizza peel
- 16″ Pizza Peel – We like the 16″ pizza peel! The long handle makes it simple to put the pizza right into the oven.
- Pizza Turning Wheel – We have actually not purchased the turning peel yet but I ‘d extremely advise the pizza transforming wheel to help you transform the pizza while it’s in the oven. We currently just utilize the pizza peel to do it but it’s a bit extra cumbersome.
- Huge Modular Table – The large modular table is something I went and back forth about. I wasn’t sure if we must acquire it or simply try to find something else similar online. For $250 you are really obtaining your money’s worth.
- Wood Pizza Peels – We got these charming little pizza peels. Mostly just for ease of having something to make the pizza on and after that something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked. They’re extremely charming and also quite budget friendly.
- Infrared Thermometer – We have actually not yet obtained an infrared thermometer but I’ve heard that it’s super helpful in recognizing if the pizza oven has actually gotten up to temp and also prepares to prepare!
WHERE TO BUY AN OONI
You can locate the Ooni pizza ovens on their internet site, Amazon, or Williams-Sonoma. The rates are pretty similar, but often they have sales, so inspect around to see where you can get the best deal.
One thing that truly attracted me about the Ooni was that you don’t need to clean it! The temperature inside the oven obtains so warm that there’s actually no need to decontaminate or disinfect the within of it. Obviously, you’ll need to clean down the outside every now and then as dust settles on it, however besides that no cleansing is needed!
The Ooni Koda 16″ is 25 x 25 x 20 inches. The modular table that we placed it on is 30 x 30 inches. We keep it in the corner of our garage as well as it doesn’t use up excessive area. Maintaining it out of the snow and also rainfall will assist it last longer. Ooni does make a weatherproof cover as well if you do not have any kind of covered space to keep it though.
A tiny pizza food preparation inside an Ooni pizza oven exterior
GREAT FOR WEEKNIGHT USE
It might feel like a great deal of job to get the Ooni good to go up simply to make two pizzas (which is what we typically do as a family members of 3) but I guarantee you, it’s really not. The Ooni modular table we obtained makes it easy to wheel in and out of the garage. After that you simply link the gas and allow it warm while you make the pizzas. It’s entirely achievable on a weeknight as well as we have not prepared a pizza in our oven since we got it!
IT IS WORTH THE HYPE?
Yes, it is. I see what all the hassle had to do with. The Ooni deserves the cost for the experience that it delivers. Since I believe that making and also preparing food truly can be an experience, I do say experience.
My overall ideas on that Ooni are that I was anticipating everything to be a whole lot more job. I was expecting the arrangement to be a hassle, the real preparing and also prepping to be a little bit time-consuming, and also I wasn’t certain what the cleaning procedure required. In general, I am absolutely elated to locate that the Ooni is really a truly basic, simple, exterior pizza oven experience. The configuration fasts. Prepping, heating the oven, and cooking the pizzas is quite simple. And clean-up is virtually non-existent.
It’s also very lightweight as well as mobile so I can entirely see us taking this camping with us when the wildfires aren’t raving!
IS THE OONI RIGHT FOR YOU?
If you like pizza, have a tiny outdoor space, a little storage room to keep it dry, and delight in having a beverage outside while you prepare dinner, after that of course – the Ooni is for you!
If you’re prepared to have a look at the Ooni pizza oven and decide which one is right for you – CLICK HERE!
It has a pizza stone inside that offers you that delicious, crispy crust of a typical wood-fired pizza oven.
When you’re cooking pizza in the Ooni, you want your full focus on that pizza. If I’m in the state of mind for homemade though, we either use my No-Knead Pizza Dough or my Quick Pizza Dough.
Wooden Pizza Peels – We got these cute little pizza peels off. Mainly just for simplicity of having something to make the pizza on and also then something to cut the pizza on after it’s baked.